Breakaway to side mount advice needed!

Hello all!

I am currently practicing my breakaway to sidemount and my success rate is maybe 10 to 20%. I have only been practicing it about 4 or 5 days. I read some advice that helped me on here. Was something like start with yoyo close to your ear and make the motion like your going to slap the side of your leg and that helped a lot. My success rate before that was very low.

I have noticed I have a tendency to move my off hand finger when the yoyo is coming into the mount position. I realized my success rate is better (10%-20%) when I dont move that hand and keep it stationary. Was just wondering if anyone had some advice or tips that helped you? Or does it just take time to really get it down? Thanks in advance!

1 Like
2 Likes

Throw it 500 times. It looks good otherwise.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good start. It will take a lot of practice to get it down consistently. One tip: it’s easier to regularly land the yoyo in a trapeze if you try to get it closer to your finger.

1 Like

Ok, so you mean the distance between the yoyo and the finger when it’s going into the mount?

1 Like

Yessir. Exactly that. Reducing the distance increases odds of landing. Will also help with other mounts.

2 Likes

Do you think I should throw my hand out further from my body when I throw the breakaway to get it further out? Or should I move my mounting finger further out from my body?

2 Likes

This popped up on a thread last week. Very interesting. Might be for down the road…

3 Likes

I think your breakaway is fine. Throw it 100 times tonight… in a week you’ll be 100 percent… the other thing i found helped my breakaway is to practice missing intentionally… if you can miss on purpose and flip back on, pinwheel or a string correction then your breakaway will become automatic.

Again might be to much, sorry. but i think if you practice all that together it will flow.

3 Likes

Try not to swing the yoyo into the mount. You can slip your finger on the string and keep the pressure on the string then the yoyo will automatically move up and fall into that mount.

2 Likes

A little sloppy and loose but I tried the throw from the video and slid my finger as @sssbreaking suggested.Thanks for the tip! Is it a bad ideo to continue practicing the throw like this or should I go for it?

4 Likes

Might as well go for it! Looking good!

2 Likes

Go for it. As you continue to get use to the motion you will be able to choose where you want to land on the string. When you hit the trick you should really smile. It’s the most important part of the trick! :smiley:

3 Likes

You ninjaed me! Knock that off! :rage:

1 Like

Starting to come together, just wanted to post a last video for the night of my progress. Thanks everyone for the tips, suggestions and videos. I think my breakaway is looking and feeling a little less akward. Will probably do an update video next weekend with my progress.

6 Likes

Looking good! Can really see the night’s progress through the vid clips. :+1:

2 Likes

That looks better, way to work! Keep on practicing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah! Nice and that smile!!! :smile:

1 Like