Breakaway based trick help please

Any tips on throwing a nice, hard breakaway and keeping the yo-yo from tilting as you’re doing tricks? I think I’m having a really hard time with that right now because even though I know exactly how to do a trick, the yo-yo will die from tilting (I’m guessing) and what not before I’ve even dismounted a third Double Or Nothing in a trick like Matrix, or even a part of McBride’s Roller Coaster. It’s getting kind of frustrating because I’m making no progress on tricks involving a Breakaway simply because I cannot seem keep the yo-yo alive. Is this normal? Or do even tricks like these just take tons of practice to get down? I am kind of a slow learner, but normally just with the mechanics of how a trick works, not when it comes to doing it once I know how and have a feel for it… :-\

Just for the sake of discussion, what yo-yo are you using?

just throw hard and act like you are throwing a sleeper but its to the side

It just kind of depends, I use most of mine throughout the day. Mainly the Route 66, Dingo, POPstar, and Metal Drifter though.

Options are;
Practice throwing harder; sometimes I get a little lazy, and my breakaway starts to be all wrist, from down around belt high. I have to remember to start with my wrist cocked, up nearer my ear. In other words, go back to basics.

Practice being smoother; the less you jerk the yoyo around, the longer it will spin.

Do shorter tricks; unless you’re in a contest on a timer, I don’t feel there is any dishonor in having to throw more often between tricks. You’ll get better as you work at it.(Maybe I’m just old, we’ll see if others agree with me)

Have Fun,
Java

I agree with Java on this one. Start with your hand nearer to your ear. Also, try working on your normal front-style sleeper. If you can get a good throw with that, then you’re safe to move to a breakaway. Just practice, practice, practice.

Thatyoyokid has a good point. You will improve your breakway if you can perform a good sleeper because it’s simply moving your hand to the side. Practice that and it should help. Whatever yoyo you’re using can help too. It’s mainly on your throwing technique - the yoyo is just a plus. From personal experience, the metal drifter will do you no good just… from a person prespective.

I am not trying to offend you but are you just learning or a beginner. Have you learned tricks like Mach 5 or Split the Atom or binding. If you have I would recommend just throwing the yoyo over and over again (it took me a long time to learn) It would be excellent if you had a responsive yoyo that you could throw break aways on over and over until you get them perfectly straight. If you havent learned those tricks mabey you should get a responsive yoyo (lyn fury, journey) Again I do not mean to offend you.

Maverick makes a point as well. If you’ve got a responsive yo-yo, use that one. I started right off the bat with an unresponsive yo-yo and I’ve regretted it ever since. Responsive helps because it’s similar to training wheels on a bike. It’s better to start on them, then work into no training wheels. If you start without the wheels, you WILL fall. This applies to a yo-yo because responsive ones are like training wheels. Start with them, then transition into unresponsive. This will both improve your throw AND your flow with tricks. /end rant

Thanks everyone for your advice!
No, I’m not offended or anything. I’ve been yo-yoing for roughly 3 months and know pretty much every trick up to Advanced Part 1, and some others I’ve learned through other sources. With Advanced Part 1 it just depends on the trick, I’m getting kinda consistent with Boing E Boing, but most of them I can’t do really yet. I don’t know how that compares with the average person’s progression. I just mainly do it because it’s so much fun, there’s always something to learn, and it sort of helps to unwind when other areas of life get overwhelming.
My Drifter and Throw Monkey are responsive. I have been looking at some of the ones you suggested, I probably can’t invest in another throw until my birthday though (not for a little while). I have been taking the advice today and just practicing some breakaways with a responsive yo-yo and focusing on smaller things like getting my 1 1/2 mount better.
Not that I’m going to let it stop me, but will the fact that I’m not even 5 ft. tall with weak little arms compared to taller stronger people effect the level of difficulty I have with some things? I doubt I can throw as hard as a 6 ft. tall guy, haha.