Bind Returns

Yeah so I just bought the Velocity and it’s my first time plating. All the beginner tricks were a breeze but now I’m having trouble with Bind Returns. Can anybody send me some hints or tips to get it right?

binds take some getting used to.
TIPS:
-Push your finger into the front of the string (the side away from you) so that you’re in a trapeze, then either drop the string or lightly throw it into the gap. It should shoot back to your hand.

-When i do it, i bring my TH up by my head for some reason, probably to simulate a fake bind. Fake binds are when the yoyo is near your TH, and you quickly bring the yoyo to your NTH. They are more effective than regular binds, im told.

http://vimeo.com/1712932

1 Like

Definitely a tricky one to first learn, but it’s really one of those things that become second nature before you know it. Andre’s video for binding on this site is definitely a very good one to start with. With binds, the basic concept is to create a loop that becomes force fed into the gap, causing the yo-yo to wind the string.

From a regular sleeper, I find it helpful to simply run my non-throwhand pointer along the entire length of the string while GENTLY tugging my throwhand upwards. If you do this in a smooth fluid motion, the yo-yo will pop right over your non-throwhand pointer and onto the back string. Move your throwhand down towards the yo-yo while simultaneously moving your non-throwhand up and away to create a large loop between your NTH finger and the yo-yo. Simply reverse this motion and that loop should catch on the response and begin to wind and return to your hand.

Binding from a breakaway or sidestyle is a bit more difficult to first learn. With the yo-yo sleeping, place your NTH pointer on the side of the string facing your throwhand (ie. if you’re right handed, place your left pointer on the right side of the string), and instead of a pulling motion like the sleeper bind, it will be more of a pushing motion as you extend your NTH arm toward the outside. As you push, just sort of guide the yo-yo to flow around your TH pointer, onto the string from underneath. Make basically the same motion as with the sleeper bind to make the large loop and feed it into the gap.

That’s about it! If you need any clarification, I’ll be glad to help.

Here are some other binds. Maybe you will find one of them a little easier.