Bimetal ring placement?

hey, just had a small question about yoyo creation. what goals does each placement do rings accomplish on bimetals (outer ring, inner, mid ring, etc)? just curious since i dont know anything about engineering and design

2 Likes
3 Likes

Aye this project is a little cringe to me now but I’m glad if it can help ppl learn how yo-yos work. Thanks for sharing it!

3 Likes

edit it! fix it up with new knowledge, would love to read it

1 Like

I mean all the info there is correct. I just came onto the forums pretty strong when I was newer and that’s why I find it cringe.

2 Likes

ok i read it and it’s super fun, but i don’t think it answered my question specifically to bimetal ring placement

I think it’s mostly a matter of how much power you want the ss rings to give but there may be smaller effects from placing ss rims inside vs outside. I think this was brought up in the discord before

2 Likes

I honestly thought it was smart and wish it was more in a wiki format so it could get updated and referenced better. But I get how you feel.

2 Likes

It’s all about weight distribution. Stainless or Ti is more dense than aluminum so that allows the designer to place weight where they want it. That’s the simple explanation. There is a whole lot more if you dive into where its placed and how much diff material is used.

There are tri metal yoyo s now. Yikes.

While 1 gram of AL equals 1 gram of Ti, they don’t occupy the same volume. A mono metal yoyo identical in shape to a bimetal will not have as much power or rotational force.