Bimetal Durability

Do you guys think bimetals are any less durable than a monometal? Have you had rings dislodge? If so, what yoyo? Any particular reason why they dislodged?

I had issues with my nobunaga being finicky but nothing too bad. I have had no issues with the other bimetals I owned.

I have never had any issues with Bi-Metal durability. All of the ā€œissuesā€ I have heard about were either in the early days of their development and manufacture; or were from fans of manufacturers that did not make bi-metal yo-yoā€™s.

Now, it seems these ā€œissuesā€ have faded away with time.

1 Like

I had an issue with my navigator, hit my keys on my lanyard and developed a slight vibe after that. Iā€™m hesitant to get bi metals after that except for my SF throws

-bbdave-

I knocked a rim a little crooked on an Elimination by slamming it into the ground playing 5A but was able to press it right back into place by standing on the yo-yo half. Thatā€™s about it.

3 Likes

I have had trouble with Every single bi-metal I ownā€¦

Every single one of them seems to dislodge the money from my walletšŸ˜³

5 Likes

You stood on it? :joy:

1 Like

My friend got a Kodak where the ring got dislodged after about 30 min of play, he pushed it back in, and it played fine. Iļø havenā€™t had any issues myself.

Most bimetal I feel today is built quite well and I have not issue with any. I have heard stories of some losing ring or developing some vibration but all of my own I have not experienced.

1 Like

I have the firrox and the shift and they are fine when it comes to the rings.

Iā€™ve had rings knocked loose on a Nightmare. Iā€™ve also played a vacation and a stealth with loose rings.

Iā€™ve never had a problem with one that didnā€™t have rings just clamped on the edge of the cup, though, which is not that common anymore. Iā€™m betting it was just that early design, although Iā€™m not willing to chuck expensive bi-metals into the ground to find out.

1 Like

I think vulnerability to damage will depend a bit on where the bimetal rings are:

• outer rings ā€œaboveā€ the aluminum (edge)
  • inner rings ā€œbelowā€ the aluminum (cognition)
  • edge rings ā€œbesideā€ the aluminum (haymaker x)

Thereā€™s also some where the bimetal is wedged into a ā€œsandwichā€ along the rim, this is kinda uncommon, the only one I can think of at the moment is the radical seas / 2 sick tempo? Like this:

Oh wait :thinking: after further consideration ā€“ Grasshopper X and 2sick knight, they also have the uncommon bimetal ā€œsandwichā€ on the rim.