Best yoyo you've ever played...

The Kingspin Chronicle is a stable option that I feel is way underrated

Top 5 in no particular order:

Ti-Walker
Hatrick
Prestige
Majesty
SB Genesis

Hard to say. It’s very much a preference thing.

Yuki

General Yo Hatrick

So far since today it’s been my turning point paranoid. that think is dead smooth it’s smoother than my orbitron and that is a fact. then again I’m going to have to use it more because I have only used it for like 2 hours so far XD

I Was referring to the older genesis, never really like the china one. but never play the 7075 version.

G-Squared Albatross, best finish for grinds of all my throws. You become part of the yoyo when throwing it around. Its not like some of these throws where you feel 100% in control. Must learn to tame the beast of a yoyo that it is.

It has been my main throw for about 8 months now. Still as good as when I bought it.

1 Like

Draupnir doe

For me, they are as follows. These are not ones that are my ‘favourite’, but are the ones that I feel are the subjective ‘best’ in terms of play and performance.

1. Yoyofactory ‘Doomsday’ Genesis

It’s just all performance. Every time I bind this thing I’m suprised at just how fast it’s still spinning. I’ve never played another yoyo with the same level of spin or stability, (save for maybe the DreadnaughtG, but the thing weighs 84g and is huge, so…) it carrys so much momentum that if it snags mid-trick you’re guaranteed to end up with a busted knuckle or four…

Love the shape, love the play (solid), and love the fact that no matter what I throw at it, it just keeps spinning. Performance wise, the best yoyo I’ve ever played.

2. Yoyorecreation Sleipnir

http://www.yoyoz.co.uk/catalog/images/slephnir/sleipnir-yoyo2.jpg

The first time I picked up a Sleipnir, all I could think is “wow, this FEELS expensive”.

Fantastic spin, very stable, but also has a real nimble and light feeling to it. When I hear the word ‘competition yoyo’, I think ‘Sleipnir’… It, to me, personifies everything that is expected of a competition throw. Amazing performance, fast play, angular shape, low walls. All performance and no frills.

The Supercar of the yoyo world.

1. Yoyorecreation Draupnir

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51c163d2e4b00b62a850506d/t/52e0c97ae4b09d0957fad2e4/1390463355657/Draupnir%20shot.jpg

The Draupnir feels unlike anything else I’ve ever played.

It feels light and almost “hollow” on the string, yet has the spin and stability of a much heavier throw. The amount of spin you can get on it with a hard throw is remarkable for a yoyo that plays so light and bouncy, it’s one of those “it has to be felt to be believed” kind of things.

My only issue with the Draupnir is the response. I use YYSL Ammo string and I’ve found the IRpads to be too snaggy and grippy when used with a thicker string. Many a busted knuckle I owe to my Draupnir.

However that being said it’s a stunner of a yoyo. The fact that it won the forum-voted “YoYo of the Year” award pretty much speaks for itself. One-of-a-kind play in a masterpiece of design.

So those are my choices. Obviously I don’t claim to have played every yoyo ever made, but of those that I’ve tried, they are the clear top 3.

Draupnir. Easiest “subjective” yoyo question I’ve ever answered.

In the $125 or less price range my first pick would be a Sleipnir on the BST as they can be found without great difficulty for $100 or less. This pick is a bit more subjective but I do feel it’s just barely the “best” yoyo I own after the Draupnir, which makes sense considering the Draupnir is the Sleipnir’s successor. That said, I rarely pick up my Sleipnir as I prefer the feel and appearance of my Chief which is a fairly similar yoyo.

At $125ish you can’t really go wrong with most CLYW models. Chief, AC, AC2, Gnarwhal 2, Bonfire, Puffin 2. I am a HUGE fan of the G-Squared Quake and AL7 Quake, both of which fit in your price range. I don’t know about best but they are both in my personal top 5 yoyos and have a very different but amazing feel in comparison to each other.

Now I want a Doomsday Genesis thanks to Gambit. Aside from the Ricochet it’s been forever since a YYF did anything for me but the Doomsday Genesis just looks so good and I’ve yet to hear a bad thing about it. Regular Genesis is a solid pick as well and can be found for bargain bin prices on the BST. I sold my mint one for like $60 and it sat around forever before finding a new home, I’d imagine you can find a mint one for $50-60 without much effort if you aren’t picky about colorway.

I’m not Yuki but in my opinion there are tooooooooooooon of throws I’d shell out $110 for before the Proton. I got a dead smooth one on the BST for $45 and was glad to sell it for $40. Played well but not the yoyo for me. Very glad I got to try one for such a low price.

CZM84VK, Glide, Aviator

There are too many. When I describe “best,” it may just depend on what day it is. I have a top 10, and among that top 10, I may name any one on that list as the best, depending on my mood and what suits me for that day. If I have to narrow it down to a top 5 metals today, from best to worst:

1. Doomsday Genesis
  2. Ricochet
  3. Model 10
  4. H.O.T.
  5. Chief

You can tell from the list, that I favor stability, long spins, and weight, above all other features. I have played with each of those, and at some point in the past, had a thought go through my mind that it just might be “the best.”

If I continued that list:

1. Burnside
  2. El Ranchero
  3. Avant Garde
  4. Majesty
  5. Exit 8 (not heavy, but I think the small bearing made up the difference so it does not feel light at all)

That basically sums up my list of mains.

Summit and a prodigy!

majesty

Sleipnir is hands down the best performing yoyo I’ve ever tried. So fast and nimble with ridiculous spin times. Sets the bar insanely high for things that are labeled as “competition” throws.

1 Like

When I threw a Ti Walker for the first time at DXL, it was amazing. Just so unique.

The Chief. It’s not the best performance wise, although it isn’t far behind high end Japanese throws, but all around it is my favorite yoyo to play. It took me a while to realize it. I started out with a DMII. Then I bought a Dv888. After I realized that I really liked yo-yoing I went ahead and did a little research. It seemed like CLYW was the brand that was the easiest to resell if you didn’t like the yoyo, so I found a 7075 Chief on the BST. I paid $155 for it I believe, so I didn’t really play it that much in fear of damaging it at all, and it seemed too heavy. I eventually sold it and bought a Sleipnir and other high end yoyos. After a while I bought a Confetti Chief. At this point I could do most of the tricks you can learn on this site. I liked this Chief much more than the 7075 Chief, but I ended up having to sell that one also. I realized how much I liked the Chief after not having one for about a month and got a fools gold Chief for a fools gold BvM2. I don’t plan on letting go of this Chief. I use it much more than any other yoyo I have.

Maybe this is the topic you were thinking of @andy569?

You specifically mentioned much love for the Chief (which, to be fair, still gets respect) and the Genesis, which is truly “just another aluminum yo-yo from 5 years ago” these days…

2 Likes

Banshee
Knight&Gale
VTWO

2 Likes

Luftverk Tundra, it’s just Perfect

2 Likes