Best YoYo for a 3-Year-Old

My 3-Year-Old wants to YoYo with daddy. I got her a Butterfly XT but she is still having a hard time and gets frustrated. What is the best yoyo for a little one?

4 Likes

I would like to know too, my 4 year old girl also gets a little frustrated when the yoyo sleeps at the bottom. Ideally it will be small, only goes up and down, and it’s pink :slight_smile:
I did get some advice on this from the yoyo wish list thread so just waiting to see for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A yo-yo ball. 3 year olds are not at the point developmentally where they are capable of actual yoyoing.

12 Likes

I let my 3 year old play with my Sage…he likes to “walk” it all over the floor :grin:

6 Likes

Maybe the Duncan auto return one?

4 Likes

+1. I have extremely fond memories of my yoyo ball when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Oooh going to look at those. Don’t think YYE sells any might have to check the rainforest

4 Likes

3 is likely to be a little too young but I’d say just go Butterfly XT but double loop it. My kid is 18 months and seems to prefer anything with a counterweight but he’ll also “use” a Butterfly XT and Plstc.

5 Likes

This is true. I wouldn’t bother getting a 3 year old a yoyo, unless you have a hatred for your TV, walls and vases.

8 Likes

I would actually recommend that if your daughter doesn’t want it to sleep, just intentionally drop a green triangle so that it could just go up and down like a traditional yo-yo.

1 Like

I got my neice a yoyoball from Wally world. She enjoys throwing it around while I yoyo. She is 4 but I got it for her over a year ago. She pops her self occasionally but it doesnt leave a mark so it’s all good.

Actually sounds like a good idea, I’ll tell her to try out the green triangle tonight :rofl:

1 Like

My 4 year old does really well with the Duncan Profly. They don’t make them anymore but can be easily found on eBay for pretty cheap. I put an extra wrap around the axle so that it comes back automatically to help him practice throw and return. He’s now throwing harder sleepers with a YYF Confusion.

My 20 month old has a YYF Whip, Speed Beetle and a ProYo. They’re all quad wrapped with only about 7-8" of string length. She can get them to go up and down a couple/few times before it stays down then she gets upset.

I think the main thing at that age is to make sure the response is quick, make it as easy as possible for them then slowly take wraps off as they get older.

3 Likes

Anyone try an autoreturn or a looper like a sunrise or loop series? I found as a kid that these were the least challenging and most rewarding.

1 Like

I have some YYF Go! Loopers ($6 here on yoyoexpert) and they have the sort of response I want when teaching kids how to yo-yo. Very responsive, reliable, and you can use them for decent looping practice, too.

3 Likes

I started my 3yo with a Yoyo Ball and a Yomega brain (don’t get a cheap knock off, get a legit yomega brain. The og brain is the best quality.).

The brain is the best yo-yo for teaching someone that little, because it will come straight back up to their hand until their throw becomes confident enough to throw a powerful sleeper.

And if they get frustrated with that, the Yoyo Ball is always there as a fallback.

Shameless callback:

6 Likes

YoYo Ball or a Kendama. Also tie yoyo strings around stacker rings. They just want to do Around the Worlds and Texas Cowboys anyways.

Total Recall…Evan Nagao wasn’t too young to start at age 3.
He was featured on Jay Leno’s tonight show at age 4 and delivered a stellar performance. Just Saying!

2 Likes

My son started with a yoyoball at 4, moved onto a Yomega Brain and now uses Recess first base at 6. He’s not very good but i keep reminding him that his skill will improve with practice.

2 Likes