Best string for modern responsives?

Hey, folks - jumped on the Weekender restock at Doc Pop’s, but I think my strings might be a little on the thick side (bad Wolfe dummy thick). Anyone have a recommended string from either BW or zip line for modern responsive throws, particularly the Weekender?

Thanks!

Responsive is a spectrum so I feel each one of my responsives goes together great with a specific string. I probably have a dedicated string for each throw. I know that sounds crazy.

1 Like

I also have a weekender on the way, but I do own a daytripper, and it goes great with ZipLine prestige, it’s thick but doesn’t snag at all

1 Like

I think Skyler is right, it all depends on gap size but the zipline x sochi seems to work on most of mine

1 Like

I use alphaline on everything, unresponsive, and responisve. its perfect in all my responsives. everything from the weekender to the rbc, the gamer to the deep state.

4 Likes

Ok, so, looks like I might buy some alphaline to try along with my existing stock of zip and Wolfe and just see what happens.

Anyone use just plain ol’ cotton? Or maybe Kot-N or something?

I just tried some cotton in my weekender recently. Didnt like it. I like nylon or poly nylon combo

1 Like

I swear by TopYo standard bulk for modern responsive.

2 Likes

I’ve got Zipline on everything - Alpahline on the RBC, Prestige on the DayTripper and the Deep State.

2 Likes

Most of the time I use yellow Slick-6 and keep them below the belly button, the 50/50 blend gives the added response of cotton and the whippyness and longevity of poly.

But I’ll also use the cheap bulk poly that comes with most non boutique throws these days as they are already too short for unresponsive 1A. Don’t over think it, shorter strings will respond better in general, if you want to play more semi-responsive just make your strings longer.

5 Likes

Cotton only on wooden fixed axles for me, and yea, you’re going a bit overkill there with super soft and thick nylon string on a responsive yoyo.

Most modern responsives are designed to respond well with normal/fat bulk poly. Any brand that is a reputable string company works, no need for anything fancy.

Type 10 cotton from yoyoexpert is good, but zipline kot-n is top tier if you are using a wooden fixie.

3 Likes

I like very thing string for 0a. It allows for more room if you want a longer string and more solid stalls. Yye bulk poly in white fits the bill for me though the tension can get a bit wonky

3 Likes

I’ve been happy with the performance of String Lab Type X in both. I also like Zipline’s Smoothie. Both are medium thickness strings. The smoothie strings I have coordinate with the color of weekender I have, so I’ve used it more. I would say that the weekender and daytripper are functionally the same as far as the string goes. They both use the same pads and bearing, I think the gap is the same too, but I haven’t measured it. I have some BadWolfe’s Goldilocks Slicc string, but I can’t remember if I used it in the daytripper. I only just got the weekender in January, so I haven’t tried that many different string types yet.

BadWolfe thin Slicc strings were too thin for me in the daytripper, (although I’m not sure i gave them a fair try) but worked pretty well in El Mijo with the bearing blank.

4 Likes

I ordered some Toru from HKMT to try out with my RBC. has anyone tried it with a fixie/responsive?