Best performing monometal?

My favourite aspect of a monometal against a bimetal is the ringing sound that monometals produce that is largely eliminated with the rings with a bimetal.
Though it’s hard to say no to a bimetal when it comes to stability and power and rim-weight!

3 Likes

I seriously dispute that 7068 Alu is anywhere near the price of magnesium or titanium.

1 Like

The masamaxx was a ton of fun, but terrifying at the same time :joy: the power is real! I attempted a speed combo on it once, it can move decently even with all that weight

2 Likes

Vibe comes with the turf - (for bi-metal)

1 Like

Funny that you bring up 7068 bimetals. This is actually a bit of a misconception that a 7068 bimetal would perform any better than a 7075 bimetal, same with titanium bimetals. The reason for this is while the metal may have a higher tensile strength and what not, it can only be machined so thin, about to the same thickness as you can with 7075. The reason a 7075 bimetal may perform better than a 6061 bi metal is the strength difference is high enough to over come the increase in density. The idea of bimetal yoyos is to make the body as light as possible, and to put as much weight on the rims as possible. Between 7068 and 7075 aluminum, the weight of the body won’t be any difference since the metal has to have a certain thickness, any thinner and it doesn’t matter how much stronger 7068 is than 7075, the metal will warp. So the way to increase the gap between mono metals and bimetals is to go the other direction, a metal that is lighter but as strong as regular aluminum. Anyway, to add to the question of best performing mono metal, my vote goes to the Werrd Irony JP 2013. That yoyo was absolutely insane, performs better than pretty much every bimetal I’ve tried aside from a few.

4 Likes

Here’s the actual values from someone who definitely makes yo-yos!

6 Likes

Jeez you know everything about the forums huh lol

5 Likes

@codinghorror IS the forum itself.

5 Likes

You probably would too if you can scroll down the whole mail day thread post by post like him :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m the forum janitor!

11 Likes

I think the TP Chameleon/Chameleon Light is the probably the best performance monometal by quite a big margin using if you were to set up any objective way to measure performance. It’s just so stupidly powerful.

2 Likes

Given how oversized the Chameleon Light is, I guess that makes sense.

4 Likes

It is the most unique yoyo I’ve seen in ages. It’s HUGE.

2 Likes

Yeah Chamelon is enormous. It’s even more intimidating than Mega Crash which is quite something…

3 Likes

If ‘type’ can be used in place of ‘model’, then he isn’t actually wrong. Actually, by saying it’s the same bearing, one could just as easily infer that to mean the exact same single bearing was used in each throw. Which we know is not the case. _:blush:

2 Likes

Comes down to you completing your tricks. By any means necessary. - topically speaking - monometal world would be the extreme shapes. More rim weight greater the spin.

1 Like

That’s correct but insofar as to those tolerances being used as a bench mark, not the safe zone. The factors which should lend a designer manufacturer a slight releaf however it being “reasonably safe” is contingent on the actual materials ductility. The tensil capacity is in relation to the integrity of material but more importantly where the listed specs of the the thinnest or least amount of material necessary to function through the average means to a yo-yos end. The tolerances of those specs with a standard of 3 tenths of a thousandth (±.003) is a preliminary standard specifically for damage of the walls through impact.

-7068 was the United States government exploratory contract given to the Hnited States Army to be developed in hopes to achieve the characteristics of T5 titanium at a much cheaper cost. However it is only now becoming utilized in a vast amount of applications.

When I first felt the space crown, it didn’t feel right, it felt too light yet it’s displacement and weight distribution gave speed. Now when I pick up a throw I can usually tell (if it’s a shape I’m familiar with) if it’s made of 6061 -7003, 7075 and so on. There are so so many more alloys that could be used however yo-yos are made out if bar stock (typically) and most allow derivatives with additional chromium and manganese don’t come in a diameter large enough to make a modern yo-yo. This is also a factor in which made most Ti throws smaller diameter, not the company trying to keep that 300-500 price range, raw material being greater than the machining, fab and assembly.

Turning Points mustang ES is almost 68 grams. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Focus on what I said/meant. Not using the margin of imagination to create your hypothesis.

He already said the same type of bearing.

So when I said ‘same bearing’; that’s is exactly what I meant. The same bearing.

… ‘one could just as easily infer’… <> only you.

I doubt anybody else felt the need to be hypercritical and attempt to misconstrue my meaning.

I seriously doubt that there is anybody currently on this Forum that has handled or tested as many bearings as I have in the last 20+ years.

…And if a guy doesn’t want to use the ‘same exact bearing; then he needs to time out each yoyo. And then swap the bearings in the two yoyos(obviously have to be the same size bearing) and time them again. Repeat the test 4 times. That way each yoyo had two spin time runs with each bearing. Then average the times to get a more realistic time potential for each

And even then; those results would only reflect results from the one guy throwing in whatever conditions he was in at the time.

6 Likes

No worries man :blush:

3 Likes

WHave you played the Sasquatch? I have not yet but hoping to find one. The Chamileon was made for circus tricks. It wasn’t until takeshi walked on stage with two of them a contact juggling ball and his colony did people take the yo-yo seriously. I think that wad 2016 or 2017 Japan nationals. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

There is something to be said about oversized yo-yos with competition pefotmances. Black or contrasting clothing and clean string. A lot of tech players prefer a smaller throw for maneuverability and to get and out of tight wraps - but that oversized throw stands out big.

1 Like