Best/Most Influential Players/Pro From Your State/Country

Hey guys, hadn’t seen a topic like this at least in a long time. Who is the best/most influential yoyoer where you’re from, current or past? Have you met them, seen them anywhere etc?

Since I’m from Colorado I think it’s a safe bet for me to say Zach Gormley and it’s not even remotely close lol. I have not met him or seen him anywhere, thought we both attended University of Colorado at the same time but he actually went to BYU lol

4 Likes

I’m from Wisco and from here it’s gotta be Mark Proksch AKA Kenny Strasser! This guy is a genius.

Ivan

4 Likes

For me it has to be Ilya Agarishev. Actually I think he is the best yo-yo player in the world atm. Just look at this flow :star_struck:

12 Likes

I’d have to say Evan Nagao.

2 Likes

Anyone know of any famous yoyoers from Maine?

1 Like

I absolutely love this dude’s style of play

1 Like

What qualifies someone to be “the best”?

Good question, id say accolades and general popularity within the community. Maybe “best” wasn’t the “best” word lol.

Adrian Velez

6 Likes

Does Pedro Flores count? :thinking: :joy:

4 Likes

We’ve been lucky to have lots of pros at the DXL meets, which is awesome. Yoshi, Anthony Rojas, Justin Dauer, Kris Toledo and others I’m probably totally forgetting right now are regulars/usually always there. We’ve sometimes gotten “special guests” to join us like Evan Nagao, Brandon Vu and Hunter Feuerstein. If you’re in Socal, definitely try and make it out!

6 Likes

Dude, I’ve GOT to make it down there sometime. It’s a ways down from Berkeley, but it would so much fun to meet everyone when I get a break.

1 Like

With so many excellent players, does it draw a crowd watching?

2 Likes

I usually come to SoCal once or twice a year so I gotta make sure it’s during a time of a meet!

1 Like

Where in SoCal is this please? Where can I find more info?

1 Like

It’s usually always in Artesia since it’s pretty centrally located for LA and OC throwers. If you’re on FB, look up DXL Crew Worldwide YoYo Meetup. If you’re in Insta follow @DXLcrew, Michelle is always great about scheduling and posting meetups when they happen. There’s also this thread here on YYE you can follow for updates if you’re not on social media. It’s a great community and everyone is super chill and welcoming so def come out if you can!

Thank You.

1 Like

I’m from Maryland so…I’m going to say Coffin Nachtmahr.
Never met him, but I would not be surprised at all if we know people in common unrelated to throwing because they call it Smalltimore for a reason.

But if you’re considering the DMV/DC-metro area as a thing, then the answer is Ann Connolly, who is from DC. Never met her either, but if my parents had actually encouraged me to really get into yoyoing and meet people back when I originally started in the very early 00’s, then we would have almost certainly met because I think we’re also around the same age.

6 Likes

If you’re at Berkeley you’ll have to make it down to some Spindox meets. Historically they’ve been in Alameda but they’ve been meeting in San Mateo this year; not sure if that’s the new permanent spot or what. But definitely join the FB group to stay up to date on meets! Cool players known to show up off the top of my head: Josh Yee, Alan Santiago, Alex Hattori, Brendan McGillis, Shuyun Tang (I think he might actually go to Berkeley too?). Then of course @DocPop is right over there in the city :slight_smile:

Also @MaximShoots is near-ish to you and sometimes hosts meet ups literally on Berkeley’s campus lol.

3 Likes

From Minnesota I would have to say Dazzling Dave. I’ve met him, been to a couple of his shows, been to his house for the MWR barbecue, and ran into him at the grocery store. Very nice guy.

5 Likes