Best Material for making your own response

So I’ve been making my own response using the red rtv stuff here

but the last 3 or 4 times I did it, the response had all these little bubbles in it and was recessed much deeper than I intended, making the response much more slippy than I wanted. I recognize this is a fault in my techinique, as the response in previous yoyos with this stuff was exceptional. But since i’m not likely going to suddenly become a more careful, less ham-handed person, I’ve been thinking about using flowable silicone stuff (like this one specifically) instead.

Is the response comparable to the red rtv? I know it’s easier to get consistent, but am I going to be disappointed in the feel of the response? Anyone using this stuff?

Please advise, you guys are great.

EDIT: linked the non flowable stuff by accident

2 Likes

That same brand but the flowable silicon stuff works nice. Think YYE has it up in their store for a reference if needed.

1 Like

cool i’ll check it out

1 Like

1 Like

I use this Red silicone stuff all the time. That stuff will last months of heavy play. The best part about it is you’ll know when they are ready to be changed because they rip right out the yoyo and usually fly off the yoyo in one piece. I tried clear before and thought that the silicone was to soft. I personally would like to try white or transparent silicone but have not heard of a brand that can get the job done. When I 1st started to make my own breaks I had the bubbles issue. I don’t really have it anymore unless I rush when I make my breaks. I take my time at the same time I do not worry about making a mess or getting it everywhere because you can just rub a tooth pick over it and it will come off easy with no damage to the throw. When I used to be clean about things was when I was getting bubbles. Being a little sloppy lets you get those bubbles out.

1 Like

Well, I’ve only ever used clear flowable and it works just fine. It doesn’t shrink too bad, and makes for a very responsive unresponsive gap, if that makes any sense. As in, it definitely responds when I tell it to respond.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping for. I got a side bind that sometimes slips if I don’t pinch it serious, but the red rtv stuff done right is nice and snaggy when I do it. I’ll try the clear stuff, and if it isn’t right I’ll just get messy with the red.

2 Likes

There you go man, can’t go wrong with the scientific process lol.

1 Like

Amen. When in doubt, try it out.

1 Like

I prefer the clear and you can make it how you want. If you go really flush it binds easier and slightly recessed can help snaggy throws with narrow gaps.
That’s been my experiences.

1 Like

I went with the clear, took less than 5 minutes total, almost no spillage and almost perfect coverage. Nice and snaggy when it needs to be while still totally unresponsive. Thanks everyone for the input.

5 Likes

Beautiful, looks good man

1 Like

That looks very clean. Super impressive. Now for the test of time. Your going to have to update us when the run out. If they last as long I will cop some!