Ben's Alphabetacular Yoyo Review: C3 Vanitas

If you like narrow yoyos this is not for you. At 56.75 mm diameter and a width of 50.25 mm, it is fair to say that this is not a pocket-friendly throw.

It’s a fun throw, however. A gap width of 4.82 mm makes landing riskier things a breeze, and the general width of the throw means that so long as you can hit the broad side of a barn on your hopping tricks that you will also land your hop. It’s also extremely light at 63.36g, even lighter than my beloved Hydrogen Crash roughly 1/3 of a gram. The wide spacing on the rims and the thin aluminum means a substantial amount of power exists in this throw (not that it is extreme, but it is definitely stronger than you would expect). The yoyo is also pretty dang fast, easily speeding up due to its feather-like. When it comes to the positive aspects of this throw, think of it like a Galaxy Diver 7075v2 that got spec’d into speed rather than power.

However, unlike the 7075ver, the Vanitas has a couple of small flaws that keep it from being a favorite throw of mine (therefore keeping it from the S or SS tier). Primarily, the Vanitas plays as wide as it is, and that is a double-edged sword. Unlike the 7075v2, which seemed to have some sort of ethereal ability to become narrower when needed and wide otherwise, the Vanitas always feels as wide as it is. It’s easy for those prone to skill issues to fumble. It might be easy for those even not prone to skill issues to fumble with it. Those not used to width will have the experience of being assaulted and beaten over the head with a baseball bat labeled “wide load” on it. Also the v-body is relatively basic design in my opinion.

Overall this is still a very very solid yoyo, as to be expected from C3. I just think that if you’re going to get a wide bimetal from them that you should opt for any of the Galaxy Diver family instead.

Ben’s Alphabetacular Rating: A (since it looks kinda like an upside-down V, for Vanitas)

5 Likes