Benefits of Fidget Toys College Thesis

Hey, yoyo players! In my last post a few months back, I asked you all why you decide to yo. What makes the yo-yo such a big part of your life? I gathered this information, and with it, I wrote a college thesis to end my senior year of high school! (I got an A, by the way, thanks to your inputs!) Here is the thesis I wrote, and I’d like to thank you guys again for helping me find the right words to write this! Hope you enjoy!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yfRoRyrr3pp4mJioj2CymzT6qOFio5wW3lQ8xWRaEsQ/edit?usp=sharing

19 Likes

Well written paper and a legendary move quoting @twitch77!!! Congrats on the A!

3 Likes

Congrats on the paper! This is great!

4 Likes

Nice! I can relate to the person who said just looking at / having the stress ball near helped them during a test. For me, just having a yoyo in my pocket at work helps me deal with stress or frustration even if I may not have any time to throw it when I’m at work.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t what it is about it exactly but I think it relates to another issue I have. I went through 6+ years of chemotherapy and was often confined to the hospital for weeks at a time, so I now have a huge anxiety trigger revolving around situations where I can’t escape at any time I want. Like traffic jams as an example. But as long as I know I have an out if I need it I’m fine. Even at work I know if I really wanted to I could walk out at any time.

That feeling of knowing I have an out is similar to knowing I have a yo-yo around.

4 Likes

I can understand you feeling that way. The yoyo in my pocket while at work represents something that I can control. My boss, co-workers, guests at work, etc. are things that can be frustrating but are out of my control. Knowing I am secretly carrying something that is subserviant to me and that I can totally control gives me a little peace of mind. It makes perfect sense in an odd sort of way.

2 Likes

Yo-yoing has always been a stress reliever for me. When ever I am depressed or mad, all I have to do is think about yo-yoing.

1 Like

That was great!

2 Likes

Gr8 Paper! i have found that fidget spinners can help with ADHD and it does help me focus a little (i have 1 by my desk) but seriously if u have a fidget spinner LUBE YOUR BEARINGS its so annoying when somebody pulls something out giving the excuse that they need it to focus when what they actually do is take away everybody else’s concentration. my little advise

2 Likes

Oh you quoted me! No wonder the paper got an A!!
lol :rofl:

Well written and congrats on the awesome grade!

For me personally it’s less about having something physical to do…and more about having something mentally to sink myself into.

3 Likes

I just love the fact that I can do something to be proud of. I have worked so hard to get where I am today, and I feel pride that I can do something that not a lot of people can do, or even have heard of for that matter. I love how yoyoing has set me a part from other people. It makes me feel unique and not just some everyday person.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help, Twitch!!

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!

2 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I agree. Your reply has me wanting to say so many things but I don’t want to totally derail the thread. Lots of every day people have talents and skills that we may never know about because we don’t see them in action. I know what you mean though. Yoyoing is friggin’ cool and I’m sincerely happy for all the people that have found fun, happiness and peace through it. And as long as a person’s self-esteem is not totally based on being able to hit tricks, it’s a good thing.

1 Like