Being smooth - my $0.02 on the subject

Hi, alright, so as a relatively new players (a bit over a year now), smoothness and flow are getting better but are not quite there yet. So I’ve done a lot of thinking about how to get there and what kind of technique, training, I’ll use.

There’s one in particular that’s been used by musicians, in music, rhythm is extremely important, so you need to be flowing, precise, regular and confident at all times, it’s all about muscle memory and feel.

So I’ve tried to transpose this technique in order to work on some of my tricks, right now I didn’t push it further yet but I will in the future.

Some will say that playing with responsive throws will make you smooth. I’m not saying it’s not true, but I will say that I don’t believe it’s the only way to get there. And I really don’t like to practice my tricks on responsive stuff, it just doesn’t amuse me at all. I play with my tom kuhn throws every now and there, for the fun of it, not to practice new tricks or to practice in general.

anyway, try it out and let me know how it goes for you. here’s the technique.

Get yourself a time reference, music, metronome, anything, it has to be regular and, very important, it has to be as slow as possible (up to “ridiculously slow” like 30BPM on a metronome works a charm)

then break down your trick in one step for one bip (or click or beat or whatever you got there), and start doing your trick from there. Try to be right on spot with each beat, grind a little bit up to the point you’re spot on each time the beat goes down.

then do the same at different speeds, speed it up, slow it down, and you will see the smoothness come right out of it.

I plan to use this technique to work on my combos later on, then whole freestyles. Right now, I only do it for tricks, moves or elements with encouraging results.

I believe that smoothness comes from regularity and rhythm rather than just speed, each flow has its rhythm, but they all have different speeds.

anyway, try it out, let me know how it goes. I might record a tutorial on it later down the road.