Beginner gets an Arctic Circle... thoughts?

I disagree, it is a good example for anyone who has friends who are getting into it so they can know to advise them more intelligently.

It is their money but I would hate to be the guy who helps someone start learning tricks and just let them drop $150 on a yoyo when it could have been only $30 and there won’t truly be much of a difference of how quick they learn and it very likely won’t change their mind about quitting.

1 Like

Even people who like to yoyo will ding them up. Honestly it just sounds to me like you’re bitter that this kid has a lot of money to throw around and you don’t. That would have been a much more straight forward and understandable gripe. It’s what fuels the world. If you have dings on your yoyos, you’re automatically negligent and undeserving of yoyos? That doesn’t scan.

I think a lot of people are mistaken with their, “I started with a car tire on a rope for my first yoyo, everyone else should too.” How do you expect to interest new people in yoyoing if they are browbeaten into starting with junky plastic yoyos that don’t sleep, look cool, or seem moderately enjoyable at all? Let them buy whatever they want and worry less about their yoyo choice and more about how to keep them focused on the hobby.

Spencer, what is your core concern here? Is it that you feel a high end yo-yo is headed for unwarranted potential for damage that could be avoided in more skilled hands? Or is it just envy? When I read your initial post I hear a “my skill level merits that Arctic Circle more than his” tone. There is no doubt the quality & precision of an Arctic Circle is outside the scope someone at this persons skill level could probably appreciate. It is equally true you would likely grant this yo-yo the esteem it is worthy of more than a newbie might. Also, there’s no escaping that it’s not many players who feel they can afford to drop upwards of $165 on a throw regardless of how well they play.

You elude to the fact this person may soon just lose interest in the sport altogether. Who knows, maybe you will be able to snag a great deal in the bargain if he decides yo-yoing’s not his thing. In the meantime perhaps you can counsel the kid on what a great treasure he has, show him some of your tricks with it and try to persuade him to take very good care of a highly regarded return top. Who knows, maybe this sour lemon of a situation will turn out to be sweet lemonade for you in the end. Meanwhile try to be a friend and mentor to someone who could use your tutoring.

That’s absolutely what I’ve been doing. He’s progressing well, and I REALLY hope he continues and just doesn’t give up on it. Because I don’t want to see a good yoyo like that go to waste, that’s what I’m afraid of.

Thank you all for your comments, all of them are important and I really do try and see it from the other point of view. You guys have showed me that there are both pros and cons to both sides, I guess you could say.

I think it’s great that noobs are dropping $100 plus on new throws …

1. It helps out our lil community ( spent on yoyos, the more spent the better) benefits the community/company.

2. If he quits … someone will enjoy it at half the price ( someone mentioned this earlier ) benefits the individual who buys … Maybe someone who knows what they are doing but it doesn’t matter.

3. If he keeps at it, he probably won’t have to buy another one for a while.

So yeah, I think it works out for everyone :D… Keep buying expensive stuff!!!

Agreed. Who cares. I’ve been yoyoing for like 7 months and the throws in my case are worth like 600$ why should anyone care who’s buying what. Complain less, yoyo more.

Fact of life: Money gets you nice things.

Whether he sticks with it or gives up, he’ll still learn something. Don’t be jealous. Be the better guy and be happy for him. And for God’s sakes, when you’re throwing with him, don’t discourage him by dropping comments like “I can’t believe you have an AC, you can’t even do a DoN.” No one likes that guy.