Bearing question

so i picked up an iceberg recently, the bearing that came with it i was told is a pixel. thats fine and dandy ,however the bearing it came with was seized and crunchy and i had to force it to get it to move. i reached out to the company i bought it from and they apologized and sent me another one free of charge. it arrived and this pixel spins good enough… but … it acts responsive and not just a little but hardcore responsive like a light tug upwards and you can see the outter ring instantly stop and wrap the string. ive tried every cleaning method i can find and think of… did i just get boned twice on pixels or is there something super minor im missing here?

3 Likes

I’d check a couple of things that I had going on with a Gamma Crash I have (similar hybrid polycarb/w rings).

1. Make sure you did not:
    a. Lose one of the spacers that make up the hub
    b. insert one of the spacers (or both) in the wrong orientation. My Crash had a flat side and a side with a lip and the lip had to be facing the bearing.

2. Attempt to clean the bearing! Do a search here to find the bearing cleaning thread and spend some time reading before you start. Lots of ways to do it right, and it’s all preference.

3. Clean/buff the hub. My Gamma Crash ended up having a few light burrs on the spacer, so my ultimate solution was to rub each part semi-roughly on a pair of jeans. Smooths it out without harming it at all.

4. Show us! Make a video if you can (and post to imgur for best results on the forum) or at least a few close up pics to show what you’re wqorking with and maybe we can identify the issue that way.

1 Like

I had a Pixel and some other bearings that did the same thing. You said you’ve tried cleaning it, but are you lubing afterward? In my cases, a little thin lube will usually get it spinning again. If not, might be a dud.

ive tried both lubing it and leaving it dry still the same issue i can get it to act right dry for about an hour before it starts becoming responsive again i had a friend on a discord server finally tell me where i can get decent0 bearings that aren’'t 20 friggin bucks and i ordered some of them so end game im just done with pixels lol

1 Like

its brrand new nothing is lost ive had it for maybe 2 weeks at most

i did attempt to clean it, few times, didnt work

im a knife maker for a living so i have industrial deburring tools and buffing wheels … tried this … didnt work either

i would show you but at this point its pointless as i finally got a friend to tell me where to get decent non bank breaking bearings and i just ordered some of them ive decided pixel bearings are just not for me as every one ive gotten is problem ridden

1 Like