Bearing Issue

My speed bearing has been cleaned a lot, but nothing helps it. I use it in a beat hmp though so I don’t care.

I had a SPEC bearing that had the problems this guy Is describing. The most annoying for me was the random snagging at high RPM. I cleaned it It once or twice and nothing changed. Then one day, I tried one more time and cleaned it very thoroughly in acetone. Then spun it, gradually adding more and more Terrapin dry lube, then it worked good as new! The bearing is still working perfectly after weeks.

That dry lube stuff is quite good. I always sacrifice spin time for quiet, so I stick to liquid lube. But if I wanted a steel bearing treated for nothing but performance (heck with quiet!) I would use that stuff for sure.

Am I the only one who can’t get the dry lube to work?

How much are you supposed to apply exactly?

I’ve tried using it a few times and it just instantly makes my bearings super responsive and slow.

It’s supposed to be very little.

It will in fact make your bearing pretty much “crunchy” when you first put it in. You have to rotate the bearing several times, and every few rotations it seems to get a bit easier. You can put a bit of acetone in there to help spread it around a bit as well. As you keep working it in, the powder breaks down into ultra-fine particles that eventually just “coat” the races and balls, and the spin time becomes noticeably better than dry steel.

I don’t know the full principles behind it, to be honest. I don’t know if it eventually fills in the microscopic pores in the metal or what it does, but the end result is pretty great.

If you don’t mind the new “hissing” noise they acquire. Since I like quiet bearings, I’m still using liquid lube instead.

]
Yeah, that’s how to use it properly. I believe that because it is so ultra fine and can fill tiny pits in bearings, it causes a reconditioning effect.