Bathroom silicone sealant as response pads

Just to share info, if it hasn’t already been done.
The other evening my pads came out of my Oracle, “oh dear” says i. Now it just so happened that i had to reseal around my bathroom basin, so i’d just purchased a tube of silicone sealent.
So last night i cleaned the grove where the old response pads were and put in the bathroom sealent, i’ve just put a new string on and pow ! looper is back in business, and because it was silicone for the bathroom its also anti mould :grinning:.

As a follow up to this i wouldn’t recommend doing this for a looper as it isn’t as grippy as the pads, but for a non responsive its certainly worth consideration as an alternative.
I’m still going to use pads in future as its less faff, and i’m not replacing alot. But if i was getting through loads i think i’d definitely move over to silicone.

Thoughts anyone ?

3 Likes

I’ve slightley changed my mind.
After also putting on a new string and lubing my bearing i’m not so sure that the looping has been greatly negatively affected. I’ll keep monitoring.

1 Like

A picture would have been good to see.

2 Likes

This is the first time i’ve done this so hopefully you can see a picture.

3 Likes

oh well, its a pretty bad pic.
I’m going to try using a camera. I do believe there’s a thread thats been started called “the hardest thing you’ve learned to do” this could qualify for me :smiley:

1 Like

It’s just plain old silicone. Parts is parts.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try Lexel. But it takes 1 week to cure :confused:

2 Likes

sadley i think your absolutely right. :smiley:

1 Like

It looks like you made a really clean job of it though. That’s not easy, particularly with thicker silicone.

1 Like

a new pic taken with a camera

2 Likes

I’d bet Lexel will last forever! That stuff would stop a leak in the Hoover dam if you gave it a week to cure!

2 Likes

I’m going to try it one of these days. I considered reaching out to a pad manufacturer to see if they would do a special run with lexel for me, but I haven’t had any luck finding manufacturers.

@YoYoExpertGarrett any ideas?

1 Like

Not familiar with lexel, but if you send me a 1mm thick sheet of it I can make you some pads. :wink:

3 Likes

Will you apply the sticky stuff?

Yeah I can take care of that, assuming tape sticks to lexel the same as it would stick to silicone.

1 Like

Dude, no way? I’m going to add this on my list of “silly things that I probably shouldn’t be spending my time doing but I’m going to do anyway.”

I’ll be in touch.

Sounds like a cool idea, if you have the patience/resources/patience again to make a level 1mm thick sheet of caulking I can add the adhesive and laser cut those bad boys pretty easily.

4 Likes