Basic visibility rules for filming indoors.

Here is a brief yet handy checklist of basic conditions your equipment should meet when filming yoyo videos indoors to promote good visibility of whatever bandalorian shenanigans you wish to share.

DO NOT hit the record button until you have ALL of these things in place.

1. You are wearing a dark-colored shirt. If in doubt, use black.
2. You will be standing in front of a dark-colored wall or backdrop. If in doubt, use black.
3. You are holding a light-colored yoyo (or yoyos if applicable). If in doubt, use white or beadblasted silver.
4. Said light-colored yoyo is (yoyos are) equipped with light-colored string. If in doubt, use white, neon yellow, or neon green. Or my signature G-string, Baby Teal.
5. There is sufficient light pointing at where you will be standing to make it clear what is going on. If in doubt, hit up a thrift store, nab a few cheap spotlight fixtures, and install 40-65W spotlight bulbs in them. Place them approximately 8-12ft from where you will be standing, at 15-45Ā° from center.
6. You are using a camera which is capable of and set to record at AT LEAST 29 frames per second under your current lighting conditions. If in doubt, find out.

2 Likes

Easy fix: Film outside, GOOD camera, contrasting string.

Itā€™s possible to get away with others, such as dark yoyo or a busier backdrop, just be careful because it can go sour quick.

Outdoor version coming soon. Also note that itā€™s specifically for indoor filming.

[quote=ā€œpatrickcondon,post:2,topic:31884ā€]
This is about indoor filming. Weather is not always conducive to outdoor filming, in some places for a significant portion of the year. Indoor filming is a fine (some would even say superior) substitute, so long as you follow some basic rules.

[quote=ā€œpatrickcondon,post:2,topic:31884ā€]
Itā€™s true that you can get away with a lot of things, but itā€™s far easier to just follow the basic rules.

Oh you know what I totally just missed the whole indoors thing. Thanks for catching me there.

Personally, Iā€™m going to call them guidelines. There are plenty of people who can pull off an indoor shoot without putting up a plain backdrop.

For those going for the one-in-a-million ā€œstudioā€ video, Iā€™ll recommend your rules all day. In fact, my latest one pretty much is.

[quote=ā€œpatrickcondon,post:5,topic:31884ā€]
I never said anything about plain, I said dark-colored. But plain is indeed good.

Regardless of whether or not you said it, itā€™s what I continually see, which is why I mentioned it.

Is it OK to use highlight string with UV light combination?

Isnā€™t the whole point of the UV to make the string ultra-visible?

1 Like