Atmos Projects present: The Arctica

ah that’s Mulberry :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

^^^^^^^^^
Give me all da mulberries.

1 Like

it is definitley different than the stable of organics out right now, which i was very happy about. all the way around i found it had, imo, a unique play to it. i generally do not like to compare throws to others in terms of designing, for example (the, “like this, but…”) and the cloudberry really stands out there.

with the fuller size and width the stability really shines at higher revs. at @rnsy mentions, the feel of the throw in your hand, and in play, is soft and comfortable. a very well balanced organic throw, that stands out in a line up. i think reuben did a great job on this.

7 Likes

@Shwa hey there! yes, we’re preparing a for small run that should be ready in just a few weeks – hopefully the last week of Nov / early Dec : ) new colorways, and something special in store. keep an eye out! will update here and on instagram @ atmos.projects : )

@skrz_nathaniel @JavaDogs :wink:

@fatguysnacks247 thanks for your vote of confidence eric! as an aficionado of throws across many eras, i always, always appreciate your thoughts and feedback : )

10 Likes

i’m excited to see what you have coming up!

4 Likes

I’m guessing an “Unknown” version??

5 Likes

How about half Oatmilk half Mulberry? :thinking:

3 Likes

Color idea: gray but a towards a cool or blueish gray!

1 Like

an earlier picture of the cloudberry cuz of the lighting kinda looked blueish which looked really awesome

2 Likes

Thank you everybody for your patience. We’ve got some fresh bakes ready.

This batch, we made some minor under-the-hood tweaks – a microscopic increase in gap width to make string-layering smoother while keeping binds still tight and crispy; a deeper, more matte beadblast finish that’s even softer than our first; and some touch ups to get the curvatures on the profile clean.

Four toasty new colorways, and two of them are just a lil’ special – more word on that in a sec.

Close ups and more information to come soon : )

21 Likes

Yes, please!

2 Likes

Excellent!!

1 Like

The long over due cloudberry review!

Unfortunately I missed the drop on the cloudberry, which was a bummer but I was keeping an eye here to see what initial reactions were. One thing I kept seeing was the comparison to a grail, or a life, or a mmc… three of the arguably best representations of modern organics. Its at this point I’m really kicking myself for missing out and I decide to shoot Reuben a message to kind of see if I should start working the bst to find one or if another batch was on the horizon. Much to my surprise the response was there was one remaining cloudberry so I immediately grabbed my wintergreen wonder.

With the bar set incredibly high on this yoyo I waited in anticipation, but also in fear that it could not possibly live up to the hype I was beginning to create in my head.

Fast forward a week and my lovely box appeared from Reubens. Inside a well protected little box sat. Truth be told unboxing isn’t the most important thing to me but I know for some it is important so I want to cover it. The yoyo box is a a nice brown box with cloudberry printed across the top. Open it up and a soft piece of a burlap type material secures the yoyo in the box. With that the first glimpse of the wintergreen comes to the eyes.

Out of the box the color is stunning. The saturation on the color is so rich and the satin finish is silky to the touch. The lines of the yoyo are very smooth and machining is on point. Bearing seat is nice and tight and that is when I really started to focus on the gap.

The gap is what really sets the cloudberry apart in the company of most modern performance organics. Being wider it may not be as comfortable in hand as say a life or mmc, but it isn’t far off. The trade off in performance I feel more than makes up for it.

Alright let’s throw the thing and talk about that mentioned performance. On first throw the yoyo is very smooth, I tend to use g2 yoyos as a benchmark for smooth and I would say that the cloudberry is admittedly not quite as smooth but compared to most other companies it is top notch.

One other thing I had read is that there were some bind issues with the pads, that it liked to bite a little early. So I just worked on binds for a bit to get a feel for it, and it did grab a bit, but after 15 to 20 minutes of play the pads worked in enough to perform just how one would expect.

The cloudberry now all tuned up and ready, it is time to put it to work. First thing I notice is its not as floaty as I had expected, and the grail type play that people compared it to starts to become a reality. I don’t find any reluctance to move as I snap it through some speed combos. The gap difference becomes my focus it just makes things so much easier to hit on the cloudberry than any other organic I’ve thrown.

Organics are “fun” yoyos and V is a performance throw. Well I think the cloudberry blurs that line quite well. It has all the hand feel of that fun organic, but can easily role swap and hit anything you need it to when you decide you want to turn the dial to 11, or 7 or 8 if you are like me and you don’t quite have the skill to get to 11 :slight_smile:

As far as grinds and fingerspins it is quite adequate at both. I don’t think it really stands out here but both can be done without any issues.

Horizontal is not my forte so I leave that portion of review to those who are better than I am.

So to wrap this up, quite simply put Rueben has put together a fine yoyo! The cloudberry is a top shelf modern organic! It completely lived up to the hype and I am so thankful I was able to get the last one. I would highly recommend trying to get one if you are into organics. If you are not an organic fan, I personally think this is a yoyo that may change your mind due to its power and speed in play.

Again Reubens thank you! So glad I sent you that pm and was able to grab the last one! I am excited to see what else you have for the future!

Tldr: The cloudberry is fantastic and I would get one!

5 Likes

killin me bro!!! fatguy love purp

1 Like

@lumanasty WOW brad – thank you for such an in-depth and thoughtful review! : ) i really really appreciate you taking the time to write down all your thoughts!

@fatguysnacks247 if it’s the purple you like, you might be interested in a tiny update we have coming in tomorrow… :wink:

3 Likes

Here are some close-ups on the new colorways : )

This is Cloudberry in the Candy Apple colorway. It’s deep, rich and bold without screaming in your face — it’s precisely this shade that works with the matte beadblast finish in producing in the overall tone a unique blend of being vibrant, yet soft. It’s super crispy.

This deep purple is aaaaaall juice. This is another tone that really benefits from the blast finish we put on these guys — such a deep, thick purp layer that has nearly no gloss at all is uncommon, and we were really happy how this turned out. This is our Grape colorway.

This is Carbon. It’s understated, but is classic and timeless, and also has a wonderfully soft and clean texture. This matte black is borderline powdery, and is a colorway that goes any day of the week.

This shade is a few tones less vibrant than the one on Grape, and is of a darker, dustier palette — one that has an older, subtler soul. Every run there’s one colorway that really speaks to me, and this time, it’s this one — Indigo Dusk.

Buuuuuuut that’s not all : )

When we were prototyping the Cloudberry a few months ago, we had to decide between two final versions — the lighter, which we eventually chose to bring into production, and a version that was less than a gram heavier and a smidge wider that we just couldn’t forget.

There was quite a bit of interest in these prototypes, but there were only a few to pass around at the time. Over the next few months we decided to do a small run of them with minor performance tweaks. We’re not planning to make more in the future — this is purely intended to be a one-off run for those intrigued.

All that said, we’re excited to bring to you a variant of our beloved first model — the Thunderberry.

At heart, it has the same soul as its twin. It just has a bit more edge, a bit more oomph, some more muscle. The Cloudberry sits between floaty comfort and fun, and performance; the Thunderberry occupies the same space, but takes one step towards the latter.

The Thunderberry plays power forward for the varsity team, does hardcore bouldering over the weekends, and owns its own startup; it also enjoys book readings in Renaissance literature, kicking back to Simon and Garfunkel to unwind, and is super nice to his cousins. He’s 6’6, 200 lbs, and Grandma loves having him around.

These are the ones available in Carbon and Indigo Dusk (Cloudberries are in Candy Apple and Grape). We’ll have a couple of them in the upcoming drop.

21 Likes

i LOVE your descriptions @rnsy… it’s as much getting to know you as it is the throw, and the journey behind it… nice job :wink:

5 Likes

Just wondering but are these any smoother than the first run?

1 Like

@fatguysnacks247 thank you sir : ) the process is as important to me as the final few photos that are put out on the web at the end of each run, so i try my best to encapsulate what goes behind the scenes. i’m really glad you enjoy them!

@sparhawk sure! there were a couple of small things we tightened up on the machining end. we’re still in the process of QCing the batch, but they’ve been glass smooth so far.

6 Likes

Posted a couple of details on the upcoming drop on Instagram @ atmos.projects : )

If you don’t have an instagram account, don’t worry about it! Shoot me a PM and I’ll take care of you.

9 Likes