Atmos Projects present: SPHERE

Hesitant to purchase this one just because I know atmos gonna come out with some realllly good colors for this one… but who am I kidding, I’m gonna swoop
I think this yoyo would look amazing in a baby blue like this color

6 Likes

…. Especially if your doin like 540 GTs each day :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Any infos on pricing, availability and date of drop so far? :grimacing::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@KNOMAD yes it will! the finish on this is great. soft-matte, ceramic-like : )

@hobby_master your confidence in our colorways is much appreciated :relaxed: we’re pretty stoked on the tones this round!

@Buzz firming details up! they’ll go up on our IG when we do : )

3 Likes

any guesses on colorways? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have to agree with @hobby_master …. I would live to see a baby blue matte.

Can’t wait!!

2 Likes

That is very exciting to hear. Big fan of these finishes.

Baby blue X Oatmilk half swap :drooling_face:

Didn’t you already post pics showing those colors? That lighter green looks clean 🤌 (the pic with the white caps)

1 Like

Green ones are protos :slight_smile: These monochromed ones are other colorways.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for monochrome colors. The black Thunderberry looked fantastic, and I’d be excited to see another black, or even a dark gray might be really nice.

2 Likes

·

This batch of Khunos comes in Indigo Dusk, and a rich, crimson-tone in the Wine colorway. They also feature your favourite dusty, ceramic-like matte blast.

The Khunos are powered by premium kit in Side Effects (Aluminium and Brass Ultra Lights) by One Drop, NSK Platinum DS Bearings by Yoyorecreation, Landing Pads by RSO, and Case Study #50 Strings by Zipline Strings.

Blank Duncan caps and a SE/cap-removal tool are also included with each Khuno.

These Khunos will only be made in this colorway once, and will not be repeated again.

Information on the drop will be put up on our Instagram page, @atmos.projects.

Thank you all for your support! If you have any questions, please reach out to us via DM or in the comments.

15 Likes

Prototype of our unreleased 54ish-mm, Side-Effects, featherweight organic.

First organic of our Weatherman Line. Draws from some of our earlier Fruitbowl organics, but with significant changes in weight distribution for a different playfeel. Also features an updated response schmoove-step.

Plays like a balloon on string.

Coming soon.

19 Likes

Looking forward to this one!

2 Likes

Gotta call it the Tangelo (that’s a small fruit that is a cross between a tangerine and a Pomelo!)

3 Likes

Fruit names are reserved for the Fruitbowl Line! Weatherman comes with its own set of naming conventions :wink: Tangelo is an insanely catchy name though haha :slight_smile:

4 Likes

O snap I didn’t realize… Gotta be Tlaloc then.

1 Like

New Khunos coming in the prototype-favourite Dark Forest and Mulberry colorways, and feature the usual dusty ceramic blast.

As always, full drop information on our IG, @atmos.projects.

If there’s anything I can do to be of help, drop me a DM and I’ll take care of you.

12 Likes

This one has been a long time coming. Organic profile, Side Effects compatible; borrowing some goodness from its Fruitbowl brothers but firmly set on its own path.

We’re proud to introduce the Noah.

SPECS

dia 54.3mm
wid 48.4mm
base weight with AL Ultra Lights 62.3g , and 65g with Brass Ultra Lights
material 7068 AL
includes AL Ultra Light SEs, Brass Ultra Light SEs

The Weatherman Line draws inspiration from – quite obviously – aspects of weather and the wilderness. Nature has always been a personal refuge for me. I’ve found being in the great outdoors helps me clear my mind, and can be incredibly restful. Given my adoration for and years spent in nature, it was instinctive to draw from my experiences in it – in the Nepali Himalayas, Norwegian Alps, and even desertlands of the Midwest in my years in the United States – and connect them to the concept of variability, which is core to the Weatherman Line.

The Khuno is named after the Incan God of the Storm. Its construction as a Side Effects bimetal, which gives its user a wide range of weight and power, pays homage to the spectrum of force in meteorological phenomena.

Noah as a name was a wonderful starting point for our next model. It has obvious ties to the Biblical episode of the Flood, but more directly, its etymological roots gesture towards the notion of rest – which one can experience deeply in nature. Nature can be a terrible force – it is also simultaneously peaceful and restorative.

In mapping out design parameters and descriptors, we wanted to do something that was unreservedly light, and relaxed. Something that mirrored the ability of nature to set someone completely at ease. Going with an organic profile made sense, given our design parameters.

Still, we needed an approach on organics that was clearly distinct from our Fruitbowl designs. The Cloudberry and Goji were designed to still provide power in their rims to balance an otherwise lithe playfeel, but for this project, we weren’t really looking for balance.

We wanted a purer organic shape that moved as easily as the Goji and felt as floaty as the Pomelo, so that’s what we set out to work on – our initial sketches were based on a miniaturised Pomelo with a frame akin to our smallest and zippiest organic, with the added feature of variability through One Drop’s Side Effects system.

We ended up with something fluffier at 54.3mm, just sitting between the physiques of the Cloudberry and Goji, and with a base weight of 62.3g.

As weight distribution goes, there is nearly zero bias towards the rims. The rims are a clean, lipless cup with unbroken curvature.

We wanted to add a bit of centerweight without rehashing the protrusive hub-bump that has been popular in many other recent designs. Keeping consistent with curvature, we ended up with a graduated slope surrounding the Side Effects axle holes, replacing the usual straight-line edges of other Side Effect designs.

This addition is subtle, but we managed to pack on roughly 3g to centerweight while maintaining its gradual, gentle surface.

We’ve also gently reworked our schmoove-response bump to be less aggressive than before. These are micro, under-the-hood changes that might not be immediately obvious to the eye, but they contribute to a smoother ride.

Part of our ongoing tinkering is focused on getting our Side Effects designs as smooth as possible. This included extensive testing with various bearing types, all of which have specifications that can vary on a microscopic level. The construction involves multiple independent, fitted parts, and the tiniest amounts of vibe can emerge from imprecisions in any of them.

Yoyorecreation’s NSK DS Platinum bearings worked well with the Khunos. We managed to source for an alternative concave design, which we internally refer to as Type I’s, which yield a similar smoothness.

These Type I Concaves will be included stock with the Noahs.

They will also be kitted with the new Saturn Pads, which we developed and produced in conjunction with RSO. These pads are made to Shore 30 spec, and provide nice, tight binds.

When Noah prototypes were first posted online, we had someone ask what SEs felt most “native” to the design. Your mileage may vary, but I’ve most enjoyed the Noah with Aluminium Ultra Lights, since they make full use of its light frame. Aluminium Flats feel great as well. In its native featherweight configuration, the Noah just bobs, weaves and floats through tricks.

It’s a joy to regen and whip – something you might be familiar with if you ever played a Pomelo.

Heavier setups, such as with the Brass Ultra Lights (65g) (or some of my personal favourites in Brass MMCs, 65.9g) grounds the playfeel a bit. Despite the extra weight, the relative distribution keeps those additional grams away from the rims, so you don’t lose its supple feel.

In some ways the Noah feels like our version of the essential blank canvas for organics. It’s capable of a wide spectrum of play, but it’s designed for a certain purist in mind.

Short aside – this “restful” style of play, in my opinion, is wonderfully embodied by Coleman Weimer. On top of being a really kind and insightful human being, he’s been behind many outstanding short film projects that have emerged in 2021, such as We Got This Pt. 5, which features Harrison Lee and Ethan Cheung (link here, if you happen to like incredibly produced yoyo videos.)

·

The Noah comes with our signature dusty, ceramic-like blast, and includes:
- An extra pair of Saturn Pads
- AL Ultra Light SEs (installed)
- Brass Ultra Light SEs
- Zipline String’s Case Study 50s for some out-of-box goodness.

·

Thank you for getting to the end of this writeup!

We’d love to hear your thoughts, questions, or any reactions at all.

·

We rigorously hand-tune our Side Effect models to be smooth, but players should expect that some degree of tuning a multi-part model is part of the game.

·

37 Likes

Fantastic write-up! All that’s missing is prices and colors.

5 Likes

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading it - they’re long but writing them is one of my favourite parts of the process. Colors and prices to come soon : )

6 Likes