At what point do you stop caring about vibe? How often do you guys ding your yoyos and get them vibey?

The only really vibe I care about is the really visible vibe. If it looks smooth/fine to me (keep in mind I’m a person that’s supposed to wear glasses but doesn’t) then it’s good for the most part. Also I don’t really count the beginning of the throw, I usually look at it mid play because if its just vibey cause of a wacky throw it will usually smooth itself out.

3 Likes

Vibe was a useful indicator of how much spin you had left.

7 Likes

So, ive noticed that when the yoyo vibes, it is a lot more difficult to control in horizontal and speed related tricks, because the yoyo is perpetually rubbing up against the walls. for all you 0a players, it doesnt matter much, but vib can get extremely annoying for us competitive players, because in a routine, we have a certain amount of expectations for that yoyo, and if just one variable changes, that could mess up our entire routine. i am really sorry about your infinity. i had the exact same thing happen with my beyond a couple years ago, except it didnt survive. you live and you learn. some people dont care about vibe, and some people wont buy a vibey throw. i never thought i would be one of those people, but i am. yoyoing is THE sport of personal preference. no yoyoers are the same (preference wise). and therefore, it only would infer that vibe is just another preference.

1 Like

I would also say this varies for competition players too.
I won US Nationals 5A in 2017 on a vibing sliepnir. And won BAC and CAL states 2018 5A on a vibey Shibari.
I know some competition players also don’t really care much either so it’s not just a competition player only thing.

7 Likes

i agree. thats what i meant when i said that. sorry if you didn’t get what i said. looking back on my message i can see where it might seem like that was what i was saying.

Vibe doesn’t affect performance. Unless it wobbles right off that string of yours…

4 Likes

it can effect tilt. thats why i said speed and horizontal. because those are two types of tricks that you need excellent control over the yoyo to preform.

It’s wobbling right off that string of yours then?

2 Likes

no. it stops spinning, and sucks the string into the bearing seat.

Edit: and i dont know if it was implied, but just so you know, that sounded like an insult.

1 Like

Having been around awhile, vibe was never an issue with me. Probably 80% of my yoyos are of at least 10 year old vintage when it was not much of an issue. Serious wobble on the other hand is not acceptable. If you don’t know the difference you have a bad case of OCD.

1 Like

On yoyos that I play regularly, I really don’t care about vibe. However if it’s a yoyo from my case/collection that vibes then suddenly I’m unhappy? Weird logic but yeah that’s my take

2 Likes

Im thinking that there might just be a misunderstanding about the definition of vibe. Some people don’t consider a yoyo to vibe until it has pulse vibe, some consider a yoyo vibey when it gets noisier and can be felt on the finger, and yet some others think vibe is just slight vibe on the fingernail.

3 Likes

I personally consider anything with minor fingernail vibe to be “vibey”

There is often consistent vibe, and pulsing vibe, but neither of them I would consider wobble. Even for pulsing vibe if it’s rather small and consistent it doesn’t hinder the yoyo’s play imo.

Since the finger “meat” is less sensitive than the fingernail, often times minor fingernail vibe can’t be felt on the finger.

As sensitive I am at identifying even the most minor vibe, in the end I don’t really care about vibe. I personally don’t think it hinders play at all.

1 Like

On a separate note, I just untuned all of my yoyos today and boy, does it feel like I have lifted a burden off my shoulders. Now they pretty much all have a bit of vibe, but now I don’t carry the burden of having to tune all of my yoyos for hours just to make them 9.5 - 10/10 smooth.

Granted, all of my yoyos were able to be tuned to be super smooth, I hate having to retune them each time I unscrew to re silicone them. Besides, a vibey yoyo makes binds less slippy from my experience.

4 Likes

Agreed. I dinged up my terrarian quite a lot while I was learning, but the vibe helps me bind even though I haven’t changed the response pads since I received it 5 months ago. (don’t worry about the vibe, you can still have fun with a vibey yoyo and I say this from experience :wink: )

1 Like

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head there. I personally don’t mind vibe, but it definitely ruins my mood when I buy an expensive yoyo and know that I won’t be able to sell it anywhere near retail because of the vibe. I don’t really even have “the touch” so to speak. I’ve sold yoyos that were absolutely dead smooth as far as I could tell, but the buyer messaged me saying it had fingernail vibe so I sent a small refund. I took a break from yoyos from 2013 to 2017 and “fingernail vibe” was news to me when I came back. No one ever mentioned it pre 2013. It was string vibe or a wobble and we all know that wobble means VERY intense vibe haha.

6 Likes