Are you more of a yoyo collector or a player?

Collector

4 Likes

i’d like to play for collections. like drag racing for pink slips, except we freestyle for throws. or we could freestyle for each other’s vehicles too.

6 Likes

I play at least an hour a day and I’m always working on new tricks. I also have over 1000 yoyos, I don’t know or care exactly how many. I usually avoid mentioning this number because I don’t want that to be the lens by which people view me. I play all of them with few (<10) exceptions. I’ve been doing this since the 90’s, and I don’t enjoy selling/trading so stuff kinda piles up.

There’s no rhyme or reason to what I buy, if it appeals to me and it fits the budget I’ll buy it. The funny thing is I’ve occasionally considered selling a bunch of them off. I start going through them, playing them trying to pick ones I could part with and a couple hours pass and there’s still no sell pile and I give up on the idea for another 6 months.

Call me whatever you like, but I consider myself a player and keep pushing myself to learn more. I immensely enjoy the process of getting to know a yoyo, and for that reason I keep buying them.

18 Likes

I only collect yoyos I like to play, but i do collect! when i find a yoyo i enjoy, ill usually hunt down more then one variation of it

7 Likes

I’mma call you George.

6 Likes

Idk, im probably a collector compared with how seriously I take the trick game to some, but I only buy yoyos for how I think I might enjoy playing them. My collection only grows because I basically just buy and not sell, and this is how I prefer it. I remember the anticipation I had when buying every yoyo I have, and continue to enjoy them whenever I choose to play my less played yoyos. The variety in yoyos is what keeps me coming back for more; can I land a trick I just learned on this one? Lately ive been on a Spirit Bomb crusade and enjoying the various feels of how my yoyo lands the ‘drops’.

I think it is the time constraints brought upon by living with full employment and responsibilities. When I hear about someone who practices an hour + a day on yoyo, I think to myself that they are either a kid or barely employed. When I got back into yoyoing a few years ago, my original thought was that I would have enough fun with it if I was good enough to show off a couple tricks, like barrel rolls and maybe a kwyjiibo to show off. For the most part, these tricks tick those boxes and are fun to perform, so I was mostly right, but I still want to learn more advanced tricks. Now I can do kwyjiibo with my eyes closed and am on to bigger tricks, but horizontal is out of reach for a long while for me. I personally don’t need the adrenaline rush of throwing a yoyo sideways to perform tricks against gravity to be something I need out of yoyo, and am perfectly content with smoothly executing regular tricks. Ive heard people mention mastering Skin the Gerbil is one of the pre-cursors to horizontal. I think I skipped over that trick for one reason or another. Any advice on getting a guy in his 30’s to landing some horizontal?

7 Likes

I’m a yo-yo friend.

I buy a lot of yo-yos, alot in the eyes of people around me. I buy expensive and cheap. I play a lot of yo-yos but get stuck in a grove sometimes with tricks. I try not to drop them to preserve resale but never sell em. Constantly want more yo-yo.

I don’t know if I can label myself. I just muddle along, finding things that add to my happiness.

All I know is I been throwing since December 19 and I’ve had nothing but great times and interactions with yoyo and other yoyoers. It’s been an amazing journey.

Thank you yoyo!

13 Likes

That depends on how many exams I’ve gotta worry about ._.

2 Likes

Good topic to bring up! You know what? This is something that’s been in the back of my mind for a while. I’m making a new thread on this.

4 Likes

For sure a collector but I do throw every once and a while. Mostly collect OD have almost at least one of every model. Missing 6 I believe!

6 Likes

Impressive!

4 Likes

Which ones are you missing? Having a complete one drop collection is a goal of mine as well that I’ve considered giving up at times / reducing the scope of lol (like, complete one drop organics collection or something).

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Lab experiment, vanguard, 3 2016 benchmarks, and a dang 2

3 Likes

One thing I like about “collecting” is I don’t feel the need to trade off or sell any of my yoyos.
My best friend here on these forums has sold tons of his throws off to fund new purchases of new yoyos. And that’s great for him…he only keeps the yoyos he really likes and gets to try out a lot of stuff.

But once a (green) yoyo hits my collection it stays. Even if I never throw it, I’m totally okay with just having it sit on display with the rest of my collection. It still adds enjoyment just in itself for me.

8 Likes

Unintentional collector.

Kinda by default, I planned to buy as I got better but my skills significantly lagged my purchases. Since I have more Yo-Yos than tricks - COLLECTOR Final Answer!

8 Likes

I totally get this. I don’t have a huge collection, but once I buy something it’s mine. I never consider selling anything. A yoyo may not be a favorite, but it’s what I wanted at the time, and it’s part of my yoyo journey.

7 Likes

I’m a person that has never been a fan of labels (not throwing shade at you, it’s just my opinion). I like to yoyo, it is fun and I’m not harming the world or myself with it. I got like 12, and they are 12 I hunted down by making more trades than I care to admit. I don’t baby them but I’m also not careless. I found that taking this crap too seriously takes away the fun of it all.

3 Likes

This isn’t necessarily true. Its quite easy to find that extra hour or so if you wake up an hour earlier or go to sleep an hour later. Also it doesnt have to be an hour straight… Can be multiple 10 minute sessions throughout the day on your down time. Obviously its harder for some than others but you can easily find that time if its something you really want to do. People always find the time to do things they enjoy.

15 Likes

You can practice and watch TV. The “average” adult spends more than an hour watching shows.

7 Likes