Are you exclusive to one style? why (or why not)?

JonRob does do 1a. SPYY did make a 1a pure, which was a large bearing version that was 1 of 3 just so he could do 1a. I also saw him doing 1a at worlds. He is actually alot better than he thinks he is.

i have a friend who only does 2a like 1a doesn’t make sense to him and he never got past like buddhas revenge but he is a 2a beast

1a is what I know my best friend is really good at 1a and 2a, he’s the reason I got back into it.

I mainly throw 1a since it is what I started on and am the best at so far; I did not even know there was styles of yoyoing when I first started. I want to be better at other styles and I have tried 5a and 2a, but it seems to me like 1a has the biggest library of tricks and the most knowledge about it.

As with most, when I first saw complex 1a combos I was immediately drawn to yoyoing. 1a is def. my main style of play and what I’m best at. 4a comes pretty naturally and I do it occasionally. 3a is fun but I’m a definite beginner at it. 5a never interested me at all til I met a new local yoyoer and saw how much fun he was having with it, so I started to learn and I can stall, double or nothing and I’m working on beesting. I get kinda stuck with it so I’m not super worried about it for now. I’m still a "new’ yoyoer so I feel that I need to focus on learning the basics of 1a and apply my skills to other styles later. I’ve got all except 5 or 6 tricks from the yye list down for 1a. After I complete the list I want to focus on 5a more. After my next 1a purchase, I’m going to get some loop900’s for 2a as I just tried it for the first time this past weekend and I couldn’t believe how fun it was. Maybe someone would trade me 2 loop900’s for one of my 1a yoyos at VA states this weekend.(WINK WINK)! What I like about yoyoing is the fact that I’m always feeling like I don’t sooo much interest in playing but it would take a lifetime to attempt to get my full of it. and I know that’s never going to happen :slight_smile:

good to know, I’d love to see him

but I mean, while being good in 5A probably helps with 1A flow and some tricks, is he as creative in 1A as he is in 5A ? it’s like when I see people who throw mainly 1A can get a good flow in 5A but they won’t be doing original tricks. (btw, a little off topic, but who came up with “tech 5A”, jon, jake or someone else? I remember an old vid of tech 1A with “basic-ish” tech 5A at the end)

truth is, I never liked 5A until I saw tech 5A (which IMO is much easier than “standard” 5A), I still don’t really like traditional 5A tho.

1a (like most other users) is definitely my main style. but I do like to venture off into the others some.
I’ve always wanted to do 2a, and I do try every so often, but I haven’t gotten much further than about 10 consecutive 2 handed loops.
If I were to choose a different style though to stick with like you did, I would definitely go with 4a. It’s the most fun to me, even though I’m not that good at it.
3a is just too hard for me. I’ve tried it, and every couple weeks/months I might try it for a day or two, but I always end up dropping it.
and 5a I’ve also tried, but it’s not natural to me. I learned bee sting, then pretty much hit a wall and stopped from there.
I have fun doing all the styles, I just think 1a and 4a are definitely my favourites.

you guys amaze me by starting off 5A with bee sting, took me easily 7/8 months to get this trick, even now I’m not 100% on it, maybe 80% ish on a good day.

how I feel it, learning 1A up to the point where you’re comfortable with it takes a lot of time. Then, when you start another style, you basically start from zero again, but while knowing how long it takes to get good at it. I found it very discouraging when I first tried 5A, so I got back into 1A and it was only a couple months later that I finally got back to 5A and stuck to it.

for the sake of variety, I think we shouldn’t tell people to start by 1A and that it’ll help us to the other styles. even if, to an extent, it is true. But when, after 6 months, 1 or 2 years, you end up starting basically from scratch, it can be very discouraging. I think this is why so many people end up sticking with 1A.

i am 1a and 5a only do 3a to damage my friends yoyos xD

not exclusive… I throw 1 and 5 , id like to start throwing 4a most… but the best thing i have to work with for that is a speed dial… 3a i wont start till i aquire a pair of beaters… and 2a… well… i have two loopers but they are different yoyos… like no joke, on one hand i have a rock and on the other i have a coin… as my resources become more available i will begin to fill in the gaps… as soon as the snow melts i will really begin offstring…

and in 1 and 5 i see myself taking off in skill right now… i hope this trend keeps up 8)

From what I have been told, an old JD video has the first example of tech 5a. I think it is Grindslave. But people like Jake Bullock, Beverchakus, and JonRob did pioneer it.

I got this one as the oldest example (as far as I know) of tech 5A

I’m almost an exclusive 1a player. I dabble in 5a and 4a, and can hold my own, but they are far from styles that I play often.

The thing that attracts me to 1a is the vast amount of paths to choose. Granted, every single style is this way. It’s kinda odd. 1a has the largest diversity of players, and that excites me. Mostly because I see what most people do these days and end up disappointed, while the exceptionals stand out. It’s just oversaturated, and I find myself having fun leading myself in the complete opposite direction that most people choose to take in the most popular style out there.

I dunno, I think if I put my attitude into other styles I’d find myself saying the same exact thing. Eventually. I think it’s because in order to invent, one needs to be familiar with the materials of their domain; the basics. At this point, the elementals don’t interest me, and I know they should. Chalk me up as being terrible for limiting myself because 1a is more accessable, but I find myself stuck. I really ought to just stop.

Wow, I really just went from A to B really quick.

Don’t get me wrong anyone, but finally, a worthy thread to post in! Mainly saying this because of the recent trend of locked duplicate/pointless topics

Now that I got that out of me… My main mode of play is 1A but often mess with other styles to keep things fresh, runner up being 5a. Offstring needs some work as well as 2 handed stuff.

1 Like

You know, that’s a very good point. I’m basically an exclusive 1A player with experiences in other styles very similar to those others have posted. Not good, not interested, etc. And perhaps that is because I waited so long to really pursue those other styles. I’d really like to get good at 2A some day, but I can’t keep up a steady chain of hop the fences to save my life. I just can’t translate the tilt adequately to keep the combo going. Like I get the concept, but the execution is another story. 4A is also something I’d like to learn. I feel like there’s not a whole lot of resources out there to learn it beyond the absolute basics though. So it’s like you learn the throw, leg orbits, and boingy boing, and then it’s all competition videos from there…

I started with 1a like most people. I learned most of the tricks on YYE tutorials, then started learning tricks from other sites like youtube. Then I kinda hit a wall. I can’t make any of my own tricks. And you could say I got bored. So I bought a go big swagger edition. So far I love 4a. Its very challenging which is a change. I’m not saying 1a tricks aren’t hard, (because they are) its just 4a is just… yanno, fun and new to me. 2a does not interest me, and 3a is not my cup o tea either. 5a I might start, but am trying to master 4a.
The words “A jack of all trades is a master of none” come to mind. I would rather stick to 1 or 2 styles of play and have fun and be great at those than be frustrated and can play decently well at all 5.
The only downsides of 4a is you need a lot of space and you could break stuff at first. Practicing outside isn’t an option because my backyard has poop in it from my dogs and its freezing outside.

I mostly do 1A because I’m still beginning, but I would like to start doing 5A soon as well

I’m mostly a 1A guy, but I can do a tiny bit of 5A. My plan was to get decently good at 1a exclusively, then when I’m satisfied with my skills there move on to exclusively 5a for a while til I get decent at that. I really love watching 3a too but I don’t think I have the patience or inclination to learn it in the forseeable future. I think 1a will be my forte, and then enough 5a to just be competent at it. Make sense?

Yup 5A is all I throw, and has been all I throw for about 5ish years.
don’t get my wrong I get the 2A bug about once a year, and play 4A when I go too juggling group(once every other month or so.)
But for me it is 5A all day, every day.
I can do all 1A tricks with a 5A setup don’t really see the need too play 1A exclusivly. I don’t like too tie a yoyo to my finger, and it is way easyer to pull out the yoyo play with it and put it away when you play 5A. I do this going between floors on an elevator. I’m talking a single floor.

Yep, love this video. JD definitely “invented” that kind of 5A. Jonrob saw it and built his style around it (or I believe he has said that), and Randy Shreeves and I started shortly after seeing Jon at maryland states 06 for the first time. Tosscore was our tech 5A “manifesto” of sorts, and the peak of how ridiculously technical we were willing to get at the time. Looking back a lot of the tosscore tricks are pretty silly but i still like them and can see they had some impact on elements of “modern” 5A.

You are right, tech 5A is generally easier than “real” 5A. As far as competition goes super technical 5A is pretty much dead as it really doesn’t score enough points and is usually more boring to watch, but I believe technical elements can and should be incorporated into the new “bigger” modern 5A.

jake b