Are brass weight rings stinky?

This is just blasphemy!! Give me Brasso or give me death.

Yut yut oorah < insert moto jargon here >

:smiling_imp::dog2:

3 Likes

lol - NEVR-DULL - I just like because its not a real ‘liquid’ - you just the cotton like particles against the metal - less messy. And it shines un-anodized aluminum or brass to a mirror!

5 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, it seems like this was more of a historical thing, as the only vaguely modern yo-yo (I mean in the last 10 years) with brass rings you’d actually touch is that Sturm Panzer one that @sfyoyos pointed out.

3 Likes

Tbh, I’m not sure why they decided to make the yoyo into 3 parts now instead of just using stainless steel and making it 2 parts. Would be easier to manufacturer definitely.

1 Like

That is not the yoyo @sfyoyos pointed out

3 Likes

It has brass rings on the body, though, right? Same thing we were discussing… and same brand?

1 Like

Are those rings brass? They don’t look brass.

1 Like

Confirmed brass. This particular model is a “Blade Attack” but there are a number of SP models with giant brass bits that would definitely touch your hands a lot. So the overall observation is definitely correct; if you want a modern brand that puts brass in near constant contact with your hands … it’s Sturm Panzer with a bullet. And … pretty much nobody else.

I personally really dislike SP as a brand just from an aesthetics standpoint, they are like nails on a chalkboard to me, but all the info is here.

3 Likes

You don’t have to slobber on brass for it to stink. I lot of tools I use for gardening that have brass components have a bit of a stank.

Your brass rings in your yoyo will stink after a while. It’s a real thing.

2 Likes

I’m confused, I wasn’t aware that brass was stinky. Is it like someone cut a fart stinky, or smells like an old church building stinky?

2 Likes

Also ask them why copper isn’t “stinky”, either… 'cuz it is.

2 Likes

Lol! Not fart cutting, or old church smell. It’s more of rotten robot egg smell.

3 Likes

So, like metallic sulphurey?

3 Likes

Exactly!

3 Likes

Copper is stinky. Just slightly different stinky and people accept that concession because the coating looks cool and it smells more like pennies than doorknobs and we’re all subconsciously chasing pennies.

7 Likes

I also enjoy the smell of copper. I used to secretly eat pennies when I was a kid.

1 Like

The idea that brass tarnishes until it is black and ugly is quite compelling, whereas copper looks “cooler” as it gets a patina, right? That’s a more reasonable argument to me than “it be stanky”

1 Like

Okay, so I seized the opportunity to get up-close-and-personal with a very old brass door knob at my church yesterday. I bent down and sniffed it intently several times (nobody saw me, so luckily I got to avoid that whole conversation).

I can confirm, it did have a metallic sulfury smell to it. Like pennies and boiled eggs. Who knew?

I also took the opportunity to rub it with my hand several times. It did NOT make my hand smell bad.

Idk? I don’t really see the benefit of using the smell factor as a marketing strategy. Especially them being on the inside of the rims. Maybe it was just meant to be satire? Either way, I did some half baked science. Yay science

12 Likes

lol

1 Like