Apparently this isn't a toy... or is it?

I think I now know where the name “and what” came from.

Imagine for me an object. The object is primarily made out of aluminum and to use said object it must be spinning around at around 4500 rpm and be swung around while attached to around 2-3 feet of string. Doesn’t sound like a toy now does it?

Sort of off topic but, my friend had an electric scooter that had a warning on it that read: Warning this object moves.

Well said!

Talk about stating the obvious…If a scooter and a Fiesta come with such a disclaimer, what does the ‘finer’ print on a Noctu packaging say?

toy (toi)
n.

1. An object for children to play with.
  2. Something of little importance; a trifle.
  3. An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy.
  4. A small ornament; a bauble.
  5. A diminutive thing or person.
  6. A dog of a very small breed or of a variety smaller than the standard variety of its breed.
  7. Scots A loose covering for the head, formerly worn by women.
  8. Chiefly Southern U.S. A shooter marble.

I don’t think many children play 4a (-13).

child (chld)
n. pl. chil·dren (chldrn)
a. A person between birth and puberty.

On the other hand I don’t that many children play unresponsive 1a (-13). Average age for this forum is 15. Other forums for yoyos are higher I know. I see yoyo like it used to be a toy. I don’t see modern yoyo as a toy (the expensive unresponsive ones that we use) that aren’t in toy stores except for a select few.
I would say take a yoyo as you want to perceive it. If you want it a toy, label it a toy. If you want it a peice of art or collectable, call it that. When it comes down to it it’s just labels.

Also

They are saying it is not a toy at all and that it should only be “equipment” a yoyo: for 13+. If I was a child that yoyo would be almost false advertising to me. As a child I would only see a yoyo go up and down. If I was 12 and I bought that yoyo I would not be happy… I would think it was just a big yoyo that went up and down…then disappointed that I would have to put hours and hours into learning binding and tricks. There is always a select few -12 but its rare. Hey, they had to pick a number right? 13 and up sounds about right. They created it for 13+, its not for a child. It’s not for a child so according to definition its not a toy (by company standards). Either way I think it’s logical. I also think either all ILYY or General Yo (I forget which one) says “NOT A TOY” in the packaging. I agree.

On another note: I have nothing against toys. That isn’t the reason I see Modern yoyos as “not toys?”. I have a Doctor Who Sonic Screw Driver sitting right next to my laptop that I got at Newbury Comics a week ago. It makes noises and lights up. Pops open not much else. :slight_smile: I love sci fi. Thing is awesome for anyone that likes the show! If you like sci fi…please check it out. It’s on netflix stream or you can check it online. (pm me if you want to know) ;D I got a light up bouncey ball floating around my appt all the time ??? got it from Dave and Busters!

The XCube cylinders say the same thing.

well… i hit my head quite hard the other day with my severe, but unlike most of the usa im smart enough or in some cases decent enough to know that it could only have been my fault… i just laughed it off anyway