Apology.

A note about friends:

Working in the entertainment business, especially in the 1990’s, things changed a lot from the “old school” mentality of “watch your back, because you’re a moving target” to today’s “brownnose your way into opportunity” mentality.

Back in “the day”, I not only had to fight my way to the door, but fight to knock on the door, fight to get the door opened, fight to get in the door and fight to stay on the right side of the door. I’d do crap work, which other people would sabotage. I mean, let me mop a stage clean and spotless just so the guys in front of me would walk all over my work to make me look bad. Or, my clean soldered cables and connectors being moved for someone else to take credit over. And these were your “friends”. They are looking at me like I’m after their jobs, which is partially true, as I do(and did) intend to advance up the ladder. However, unlike them looking to retain their position by ensuring I don’t look good, well, it’s not a fun way to go. While I advanced and they sorta stayed put, I became a more “tasty high value target” to focus their sights on: take down the dude who earned a promotion over them. However, I always chose to stand on my own merits rather than at the expense of compromising my ethics or morality code. And it cost me dearly. The stress of being hunted and stalked and attacked just got to be too much so I said “you know, to … with this, I’m sick of this crap” and decided to make Studio42 evolve from doing just low computer and modem consulting to include audio production.

Even outside of that, doing it on my own, I have had lots of “friends” turn on me. They use me for what they can get, and when I wise up, they split before the crap gets too thick on them. Take my gear, borrow my gear, break stuff, don’t follow instructions, talk crap about me. Trust me, it gets old fast.

I’m now pleased with my situation. One of the people I work with is a promoter who shares my values, my ethics, my morals. Granted, he’s into sick and twisted stuff, but hey, he’s a nice dude, he’s just into the horror thing. I’ve been working with him for 5 years and I am having a great time. All the people he surrounds himself with are for the most part after the same common goal: the best product/show we can possibly produce. Now, I ad a lot of value by giving them the sound and lights and technology that helps them get there, but for once, I’m working with a group that has no intention of screwing me over.

Honestly, we most likely can count our friends on our hands(YMMV). Forget this Facebook friends crap, how real is that? Even so, not to negate anything on YYE, but our YYE friends, again, how real is that? IRC friends? IM friends? Is friends stuff a numbers game? Of course, I like hanging here on YYE with my YYE friends, and I can say right now more than a couple may become “real” friends.

Get used to getting stabbed in the back. It sucks, but you live and you learn. You learn who your real friends are and you learn how to be a real friend. It goes both ways.

I’m by no means flawless, I’m not perfect. Maybe I’m a good friend. Maybe not. I try and sometimes trying is all that matters. Studio42 is a lot of things to a lot of people, and as such, I have to wear “many hats” because it’s difficult being a lot of things to a lot of people. I’ve gone to the wall for a lot of folks. Many have left me nailed there, but some haven’t. I get hurt a lot, but I get up and I do it all over again. Is it because I am too foolish to learn? No, it’s because it’s who I am.

So, if being a forum eXpert here means being a friend to those in need, I will gladly take on that role. You need help? I’ll try to help. Sometimes that just means being someone to listen. I’m not going to worry about who is on my side. I do what I will do because it’s what I feel I should be doing.

I was willing to take a stand for Jayyo if I felt it merited it. The issue resolved itself before it became necessary.

Life’s too short to live being angry all the time. Enjoy life more by doing whatever it is that makes you happy. Computers, video games, yoyo, mixing concerts, whatever. It doesn’t matter. I look forward to the new peace that will be here at YYE.

Amen to that brother!

I don’t think there was every a problem with the YYE forum… Displaced anger isn’t very healthy or anger at all, for anyone! Jayyo I know we don’t tend to see eye to eye on the forums and its usually because I don’t understand your sarcasm as many do not; people that know you do. For instance I don’t think many people thought your post was a joke. Maybe not anyone. In person it is a lot easier to tell if someone is sarcastic but with just plain type especially no ;D or >:( it’s usually hard to tell. I will not tell you what to do but just some friendly advice “extending an olive branch”. :slight_smile: On another note I would like to say I have always hated labels. “Forum eXpert” I have mixed feelings. It seems to be a technique to get people to want to help others on the board which I do like though. It encourages people to help others who want to be eXperts. Then they get the title. I have just seen a bunch of people disappear or changed attitudes when they do become eXperts. Thanks for the apology! :slight_smile:

In all seriousness I actually found your sarcastic jokes pretty funny.

But then again im just the 13 year old who lives in a dumpy house and throws a metal drifter from Toysrus.

I hope to see you more on these forums (if i stay on)

What you have to understand is that in a flat medium such as a text-only environment, a lot of communication is lost, and therefore the choice of words becomes critical to ensure proper tone and understanding. Denotation vs. connotation. It’s important. Me personally, I was getting tired of the acidity and the want shown to rub people the wrong way. While it’s not my place here to try to bring an end to it, I think I speak for a lot of others who really wanted this to stop.

Keep throwing the Metal Drifter! It’s all good.