Anyone use their Gamer with the slim bearing?

I have the original Gamer, setup with the slim C bearing.

I find it to be very frustrating. I’m unsure if it’s just a poor yoyo to play responsive and is more intended for unresponsive play with a large C, or if it’s just user error on my end.

I can easily do shoot the moon with the responsive setup. It doesn’t shoot nearly as good as my lighter modern responsives, but that’s a given. I cannot do Split the Atom on it without it snagging.

It is possible I’m just spoiled by the RBC, Weekender and Deep State.

My next step is to put in a heavily greased large C, but before I do, I’d love some insight.

1 Like

I have a 3rd run Gamer in the “Game Currency” color way. I have mine set up unresponsive with a thinly lubed full spec flat C. I though the 1/2 spec set up would kill me. I have always treated it as a pocket trainer for tighting up hops, whips and binds while out and about town. It always just felt to heavy to be really responsive. However, I bet a heavy lubed full spec flat would be a more controllable responsive set up.

4 Likes

I use a half spec in most of my Gamers. I find the weight and responsiveness make different yoyos and different setups better for some tricks than others. And, yeah, I think you are spoiled by the best new designs that work extremely well for some types of tricks.

3 Likes

It’s definitely going to be difficult to pull off tricks like that with the yoyo that way. It’s the nature of the yoyo. Go with your gut, and try some experiments to see if you can get it more to what you want, but I think you’re right that this one isn’t particularly made for things like that.

1 Like

Im getting my gamer in the mail, but from the rcs yoyos ive played they all need really thin string, the pads in rain city throws are really grippy

2 Likes

I had the same experience, i just threw a single thin shim on one side. Can get through 1a and is still snappy responsive.

I think the gamer STMs for days lol

So after using the gamer for a while i think its great. I set it up with the half spec c like you do, and i will say its VERY responsive. I think it was marketed as a fidget yoyo. Just meant to throw and catch, very poor at 1a, capable of basic mounts and it can barely do tape measurer. But a great 0a throw. Sometimes its all i want to do now. Id say its neither an error on your part or the yoyos. The yoyo wasnt meant for string tricks with the half spec set up.

3 Likes

It most definitely has an extremely satisfying throw and catch to it. I very much appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

The weight for 0a could be seen as bad by some but with my limited repertoire it seems to do everything. The weight is jarring after throwing the rbc all day but after a few throws its just fine. I even kinda like the heaviness. I think Jeremy mentioned he was thinking about an A bearing version of the gamer in the future. I would personally be interested in snagging one

I love my Gamer Lite. I was a little hesitant because of the weight, but where its located means the yoyo plays very balanced and it feels much lighter than I anticipated. For reference El MiJo plays much heavier even though its only 58g.

The single thin shim really unlocked it for me.

1 Like