Anyone here into philosophy?

If so, what principals interest you most? I would like to believe I follow stoicism but I also know that I would be lying if I said I actually adhered to it strictly

2 Likes

I like hearing about it and thinking about it, but I donā€™t know much. I have a 101 style overview of some of the major ideas/people (titled ā€œWhy?ā€). Sadly, itā€™s among the hundreds of books Iā€™ve picked up with good intentions but will probably never read.

3 Likes

I totally get what youā€™re saying. Too much yoyoing and real life for it to not be anything but a table decoration

I got too much into pondering about philosophy/science/life/society, for my own good. It gets existential dread-y when you think about life and the universe too much.

2 Likes

I really like philosophy. I listen and read about it. Humeā€™s problem of induction is a good one.

Another philisophical work Iā€™ve been reading is ā€˜Knowledge and Christian beliefā€™ by Alvin Platinga which approaches the question whether Christian faith is warranted. It disassembles what modern neo-atheists are proporting.

3 Likes

I think, therefore I am.

Iā€™ve always been interested in the nature of reality and human experience. Iā€™ve searched high and low, and read many books. Unfortunately, a lot of it is bologna. However, I did find the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. Itā€™s 42. Youā€™re welcome.

6 Likes

Wellā€¦ Douglas Adams is to thank for 42ā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Heres a more fun one: The ship of theseus

Imagine a ship that was repaired year after year, until no part of the original ship remains. Even the original crewmates retired by now.

Is it still the same ship? And if you kept the old parts and reassembled those, which ship would be the real ship of theseus?

If you think about yourself, your cells die and get replaced constantly too. Are you still you?

5 Likes

I see a fellow distractible listener has joined us

I knew about it from my philosophy class and recently got reminded by jan misalis video about paradoxes. What is distractible about?

1 Like

This ship is more than the sum of its parts. The concept of the Theseus is as real as the ship itself. If the concept of the ship exists and is applied to the ship with all of its replaced parts.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a podcast hosted by the youtuber Markiplier. The ship of Theseus is something that is mentioned comedically frequently

1 Like

Isnā€™t the ship more than even the ship since it even was once other parts too? Isnā€™t the ship eventually the world as all the scrap gets eroded away back to dirt or incinerated to ash?

42 ASCII code for *. Computer language for whatever you want it to be. Meaning of life and all that. Always seemed nihilistic to me as it would necessitate nothing truly mattering.

Philosophy is stagnant. In the information age any significant thinkers get drowned out by a sea of morons, go hermit, or get corrupted by politics.

2 Likes

That is also your perspective. I can also choose to be willfully ignorant of anything outside of what is tangible to me and my senses too.

Also if life is what you want it to be wouldnā€™t that be existentialist and not nihilist? Just saying thatā€™s the message i get from 42 being *

Iā€™ll be vague so as to not violate guidelines. I had a Paul on Damascus road experience and it threw everything out the window for me, because to deny it, would be lying to myself. Life hasnā€™t been the same since, and I donā€™t have the answer as to why I would experience the profound and someone else would not. I definitely did not do anything to warrant it, and if anything, I was worse than the majority.

3 Likes

I had a loaf of bread flip over the long way in front of me once without any provocation. That is my experience with the supernatural.

It will be interesting to see if technology gets to the point to where we could link our brains and somehow tap into a portion of the brain that was a recording of our life so that we could experience one anotherā€™s experiences in what felt like real life. It would give a perspective that words between us will never do justice, because Iā€™d love to see that bread flip and visa versa.

1 Like

Fair lol. Literally i was at my grandmaā€™s house as a kid and there was one of those small ovens/big toasters with the glass door. The loaf of bread just went flop. That was it. It was both interesting and surprisingly unceremonious.

1 Like

My intro to philosophy class was hilarious because the professor gave ā€œthe best academic paper heā€™s ever readā€ a 90% :skull:

2 Likes