Anyone here into philosophy?

I had a somewhat similar experience. I had answers that satisfied me. I was happy. As a favor to a friend I choose to sincerely seek something that seemed illogical. After all, how could I say I was open minded if I wasn’t. I had a profound experience that I can not deny. Something that I would have dismissed as delusion if someone else said they had experienced it. Something that is still illogical to me, but I believe.

3 Likes

Here is my thought on Moral Philosophy >

You are either part of the Solution or part of the Problem.

How you impact your immediate surroundings and the fraction of the World ‘you touch’, indicates and dictates the Path you will choose or have chosen.

3 Likes
4 Likes

can strongly reccomended 2 books on philosophy / life

Julian baggini - the pig that wants to be eaten

and

randy paterson - how to be miserable (40 strategies you already use)

#1 gets you thinking
#2 gets you to stop thinking and go enjoy your life more

combine both with yoyo’s and a walk in the park for optimal results

4 Likes

“All I know is that I don’t know nothin’”
-Socrates, probably

2 Likes

I was a philosophy major for part of my college career. I really love it, and enjoy all of it, but probably most interested in metaphysics and ethics.

I’m probably more of a pseudo-intellectual though. Mostly because when I studied philosophy too much, I’d develop a tendency to look inward to unhealthy degrees, existentially spiral, and become disconnected from things outside myself, haha. It kind of made me feel both self-obsessed and feeling adrift in the theoretical.

Also, I don’t know how much the studying and research and deep thinking ever got me closer to an answer. The rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper and never ends, you know. For me, on some level, many of the conversations seemed to eventually drill down to faith and not reason. And that was kind of freeing in its own way.

To maintain a healthy self, I need to consciously balance my inward thoughts with the actions outside of myself. Like, I’ve got to make sure to use it to guide the life outside of my own head, not just think about things for their own sake.

Between that and the pedantic adversarial arrogance of many of the academic cohort, I decided to switch fields of study.

Dunno if that makes sense. I still love philosophy, but for some of the material, I feel that I have to approach it with some degree of caution. :sweat_smile:

Also, fun fact - for any Stoicism fans out there, my wife went to school with Ryan Holiday.

7 Likes

I feel this so much, thank you

2 Likes

I completely understand thinking yourself into a corner or a downward spiral. Once you have a good philosophical problem to think about, its very easy to be absorbed by it.

I have had one such thought recently that had been going around my mind for months and shared it with some of my colleagues. Doing so makes people think you’re a bit of a weirdo and possibly crazy. I would share the question here but most of you would think its stupid. Haha.

I am a believer that good philosophy does actually work out in practical, everyday life. Philosophy should never be in its own academic bubble for the sake of it.

4 Likes

For fans of philosophy I highly recommend this comic:

5 Likes

It’s better to be a smart fella than a fart smella.

-Sun Tzu

3 Likes

Philosophy? I try not to think about that too much. One task at a time or I implode. If I bring a philosophical view into it then my mind won’t stop racing, I dive straight into existential nihilism and the day and or week is ruined.

4 Likes

a lot of philosophy is over intellectualized. I stick to the K.I.S.S method:

• Keep
  • It
  • Simple
  • Stupid

That is why I like YoYoExpert , Make The Simple Amazing

9 Likes

Well said Exmime, very well said.

Not really into any particular philosophy but I tend to focus on destroying all the various manifestations of my multiple egoic states of mind as a personal philosophy in which “Eckhart Tolle” has taught me while transforming into a better human being.

What are Eckhart Tolle’s teachings? His teachings focus on the significance and power of Presence, the awakened state of consciousness, which transcends ego and discursive thinking. Eckhart sees this awakening as the essential next step in human evolution.

So defined, spiritualism embraces a vast array of highly diversified philosophical views. Most patently, it applies to any philosophy accepting the notion of an infinite, personal God, the immortality of the soul, or the immateriality of the intellect and will.
https://www.britannica.com

Just like yoyoing, conscious breathing will temporarily squelch those inner voices and help you remain calm and stay present. YoyoDoc has recommended I take supplemental Oxygene before. I have, it helps, I also recommend it.

3 Likes

I really like philosophy, especially Dostoevsky, Camus, and most of all, Kierkegaard. I often find myself yoyoing and reading a book, most often philosophy, in succession. Always with tea or coffee. I don’t really know why lol

3 Likes

One problem with this line of reasoning is that you can be both a smart fella and a fart smella. It must be possible because a smart fella can be a smella of someone else’s fart or their own. You see, the problem lies in incorrectly identifying the mutual exclusivity of a smart fella and fart smella.

I do however thankyou for your thoughtful contribution!

5 Likes

this is amazing especially todays one

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks for sharing this! I’ll be reading this very regularly!

2 Likes

Ayy we got the Fart Philosophizer ova 'ere.

1 Like

Philosophy major here, highly recommend Epictetus’s Handbook if you like stoicism (assuming you haven’t read it already). Super short, about 50 bullet points that summarize all of his teachings. Super useful to grab some life advice from :3

1 Like

I have his Discourses and am reading it on and off at the moment.

1 Like