Anyone else just not go to competitions by choice?

Hey all, I was just wondering lately. Does anyone else just simply not go to contests, meets, clubs or things of the sort by choice?

For me, I’ve been to Worlds twice, several small town gatherings across the country and a handful of state contests. However, I’m really growing tired of them. Other than Worlds, woo, too much goes on there to ever get bored. I just feel, now get this, unwelcome in the community. I’ve been around for a good 5 years now, going to contests and such for around 3 but I’ve made a few enemies along the way. Not sure if its a combination of that and some personal things Im going through lately, but it just had me wondering. I don’t think I’ll be attending too much in 2012 other than possibly Worlds just by choice.

Anyone else do this? Just not go?

I haven’t gone to any contests simply because i can’t. There are none in my area except PNWR and that’s in seattle. 10 hours away… Anyways, i think you are just being too hard on yourself man. We all have insecurities and self consciousness. Everyone goes through it. I think that you are doing what I used to do for a LONG time. Which is always second guessing yourself and lacking confidence in general. I did that for a looong time until i just realized: People are gonna like me, people are gonna hate me. You can’t please everyone. I know that it stems from just plain wanting to be a better person, but we ALL can be better in one way or another.
A guy can only do what he can do. No more, no less.
I’ve seen your recent posts and your videos. You got some serious talent man, and i’ve seen alot of players. If you don’t want to compete and such just because you don’t want to, then don’t. But if you are refraining from doing so because your worrying about what other people think, then you gotta brush that off. Get on the stage and compete, not for anyone else, but for yourself.
You know you got the skill man.
Quit beating yourself up and throw your yoyo and be the person that you are! We all have these funks bro and i’m just coming out of mine. Believe me, you WILL come out of it.
Things can only go so far down before they start to head back upwards.

I go to about 8 in ayear including worlds but I just shivvered when I heard people make enemies of you. These are the people that ruin the sport( I still think it is a hobby but whatever). I have made 1, right before a contest he wanted to trade, so we were gonna trade at the contest, but then I said I will think about it because I was at the contest and wanted my best possible deal, and he trades his off. When he gets home he still gets on and leaves me bad feedback after HE traded his yoyo to someone else. I was going to back out anyway but…

Anyways I think we are all good now but if he absolutely hates me I do not care at all what he thinks, who is he to me? Just some person that doesn’t like me. This is the attitude yopu should have aboutin people hatin on you.

wow dude, why would he post about a trade you guys were doing at a contest on the forums? The same rules apply when you are trading at a contest but its a lil different, you don’t have all the time you need to make a decision also read feedbacks etc. So you were right on saying what you said. If you say … i ma see what else out there… its like saying … i ma look at other offers on the b/s/t lol, i had so many trades go that way, I have even done that myself. I will get an offer and say, well I am not a big fan of the trade but I have other offers that are pending and I will get back to you. You have the choice of doing what you want but once you say we are trading … then yea don’t back out.

but anyways back to the topic … wow enemies? I do have to say that its totally different when you go to a contest, but hey regardless haters will be haters Connor … don’t let them stop you from having fun, i bet there are people hating on all of us right now lmao ;D its their job to hate, but its not our job to pay attention … If i get to go to worlds this year, I hope to meet all of you guys there!!!

1 Like

No enemies that I know of… But I’m sure some people wouldn’t like me, that’s the way things go I suppose some people 'll love you and others ‘ll hate you. Just make sure that you don’t let those that don’t like you bring you down, you to have to learn to be okay with some people hatin’ you because trust me it’s going to happen, nothing you can do about it so just enjoy the contests and the people who are cool.

If someone gets mad at you for not trading, they shouldn’t be trading yet.

1 Like

And I said I was goin to back out but he didn’t even know that when he traded it off. So here is how it went.

We got there and checked each others stuff out and say I am going to go check for other trades.

Decide I don’t want to but he comes up to me and says"Hey! I traded for this Superstar!"

He goes home and gives me bad feeback…-.-

Icthus took it off though :slight_smile:

I can't really go too contest's, I hit up nats every year, but this last year might be my last one.   I don't drink and that seems like the number one activity after the contest at nats, and I guess a sober guy doesn't fit in so well.
         My voice gets drowned out, and I guess I am just not all that interesting so I tend too stand around in groups where everyone is talking with each other but not me.   Its ok I don't mind it at all I check out yoyos, learn and see tricks, and enjoy the freestyles.  At this point I feel that the payback for driving down has diminished too the point where I may not attend anymore. 
 I am excluded from competing because I work on weekends and can't go too the regional contests, which are in Seattle, about an 8 hour drive.   :(  I have been told I can contact thad, and get in with a video of my freestyle, but I have tried that and never even got a reply.  So yeah I am one of those people who can go too a contest a year, and probably won’t anymore.  
How ever I really like meetings and will go too the ones I can when I can, which realistically are none, but still really like too go to them when I can.

I don’t drink any more either, so i know what you mean… my drinking buddies are gone. But I would still go just because its something i like doing and then ill go my separate way after it ends… when i went to va states, i hung out with who ever and anyone really. You can just go up to anyone and introduce your self … but since it was my first contest … i was a bit nervous to talk to everyone but next time i will… ill definitely talk to everyone at worlds… I am begging my wife to drive down there lol

Mideast Regionals is the only contest near where I live and I’ve gone the last two years. I’d certainly go to more if there were more near me. I’ve told myself the last three years I was going to make the trip to worlds but it never seems to work out. Maybe this year.

I would say that I’ve never had the opportunity to attend due to proximity. However, that really isn’t quite true as it actually is more of a priority issue for me. I have so many things I enjoy doing, and they all cost to much. The money I’d spend in travel and lodging would limit my other activities. I hope to attend a contest in the future but I at the moment I’m awaiting the proper planetary alignment, when opportunity and proximity fall into place.

I feel ya on that one. Lol. This year the planets might just align properly and enable me to go to PNWR. Stoked. That is if the girlfriend doesn’t have a flailing session over it… Girls and yoyos just don’t jive in my experience.

…what…does that mean that you will not go to TN states later this year? I hope that I see you again, you were cool man and I can not see you making enemies. The making enemies part I just can’t see you doing (it’s there problems if they make you an enemy) and you were just chill the whole time and you seem just…you know, like a good person to hang around at a contest. Maby you made enemies when you won that thunderwasp, hehe…I want that thunderwasp by the way, hehe. Have you beat the daylights out of it yet?

Kinda sad to hear some of these experiences. Contests for me have been a lot of things, I don’t think two have ever been identical and I go to a lot of contests. I have judged, partied, competed, filmed, hung out and worked retail. Some contests I go with a plan, some I let it take me. Some times a meet a bunch of new people and trade tricks until the sun comes up, sometimes I feel out of synch and barely spend any time with anyone, even when I’m not busy. I like to try a new experience every time I travel to a contest, be it pizza from a different shop to skydiving for the first time (which I did on a worlds trip a few years back).
Looking for a new perspective? Try volunteer. Contest organizers are always looking for help, be it with registration, organizing music or teaching tricks to beginners. If there isn’t a role for you, make one. Set up a table and help people fix yoyos, be the yoyodoctor.

After contest I’d love to see more organized positive activities. Hint to contest organizers… Appoint a social director and plan things for the people who have travelled to your event to do rather than stand around in the hotel lobby and make mischief. The bombsquad launch at cal states last year was a good example.