Anybody into comic books?

I just recently got into comic book collecting. I’m a big Marvel fan, but didn’t know too much about the DC world, except for Superman, and Batman of course, but with the release of ‘The New 52’, I’m really starting to get into those. I’m mostly in it for the investment purposes of it, but I am also wanting to get into the stories as well. I just spent around $150, getting all of the first 6 comics from each series, almost all of them being 1st editions, except for the #1’s, the only first edition of any #1’s I could get was for Superman, which I’m glad I bought. I bought Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, The Justice League, Aquaman, The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and a few others I can’t think of off the top of my head right now, all books 1-6.(they’re on book 6 this month, with a few more being released next week from the new 52) The cool thing is, that comics 2-6 are all 1st editions, which is great for collection value! So, all I need to do is eventually find the #1’s in first edition, both variant, and regular cover, and I’ll be all set!

Luckily also, the new comics only come out once a month, so I won’t have to be spending $150 at a time, I only had to do that to get caught up, since the new 52 just got released in august of 2011, so it was the perfect time for me to get into them, as they had just revamped everything you ever thought you knew about them. If anyone else shares, or is getting into the same hobby, I would love to see some input, thanks.

I like reading comics altho I have not bought any for years but I do download them quite a lot and have a comic viewer app on my phone :slight_smile:

I also have a full sleeve tattoo of a comic strip ninja battle scene which actually has a story to it if you follow it down my arm :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.485820131348.291910.583886348&type=3&l=3fbf501707

I am but I never buy. Ill read them and once downloaded the Walking Dead(comoic is waay better than the first season of the series on AMC IMO) up to #88 and stopped

I’ve been reading comics for years. Many many years. Some ppl on the forums know that my entire left ARM is covered in green lantern related tattoos.

I highly recommend any Batman written by Alan Moore. Also Green Lantern, Green Arrow (pre 2011), Firestorm, X-Men

I was going to make a thread like this, but I found this one and decided to revive it.

I’ve been reading comics on-and-off for years. Just got back into it again. I just finished the the full series of Y: The Last Man. Soo good. I enjoy many different comics, but my all-time favorites are The Silver Surfer and Cerebus.

Anyone else out there into comics?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/68006-9419-101004-1-y-the-last-man_super.jpg

Super necro, but anyway, yeah, I read comics. I have thousands upon thousands. Hundreds of issues of all the big DC books, every issue of popular books like The Walking Dead (I have a letter printed way back in issue #8), every issue of the big Image books like Spawn, Witchblade, Savage Dragon, etc…I’m not really a Marvel guy. DC, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, more independents. It’s a toss up which hobby takes more of my money, yoyos or comics. It’s all wonderful though.

If you enjoyed Y: The Last Man you should definitely be reading the comic, “Saga.” It is written by Brian K. Vaughan, just like “Y,” and it is published by Image. There are currently 9 issues out, a trade paperback collects the first 6 issues and it’s simply amazing. Still being introduced to all the characters, setting, etc…but this book is top shelf great.

Necro, shmecro… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks. I’ll definitely look into that. I’m looking for something new. Preacher is on my list…

…a lot of the joy of comics to me is going to the local shop or flea market and sifting through boxes. Actually turning the pages, the feel, smell, colors, and look of the comics in person. I couldn’t imagine reading one online. The same with books. It adds to the experience. But, to each his own, I guess…

I rarely buy comics these days, but I still consider myself a comic book fan. Every now and then I’ll fire some up on my Android using the Marvel app. :slight_smile:

Y: the Last Man was pretty good; they’re making a movie apparently.

Collected Pitt for a while, but the publication schedule drove me mad.

Watchmen was obviously a classic. Didn’t even mind the movie (unlike many people).

The original Mirage TMNT was probably my favourite at the time…

Miniseries like “Kitty Pryde and Wolverine”, “Secret Wars II”, “Green Arrow: the Longbow Hunters” and a bunch of Batman prestige format series.

Got the whole run of Marvel’s colour-reprinted ElfQuest, then started collecting the WaRP Graphics ones for a while.

So yeah. Comics. They’re good. :slight_smile:

I got really into Flashpoint when it came out
But I’m a huge comic book fan

I just bought a bunch of comics recently. I found a site that sells them by the pound for the series you pick. I got 2 lbs. Justice League, 2 lbs. Superman, and 2 lbs. Spiderman. Still have a couple of pounds to go.

Oh man! The original Mirage TMNT is so good! And I grew up reading Elfquest! That stuff is great!

Preacher is definitely worth reading. It’s also so great in collected/trade paperback (graphic novel) form. Preacher is a favorite that I try to read about every other year. If you’re into stuff like that, Y, Preacher, etc… “100 Bullets” is another great read. Vertigo was really cranking out the excellent series for a while. I mean they still are, but Preacher, Y, 100 Bullets are classics.

“Wanted”.

Not sure why they would completely disregard the plot of the comic when they made the movie. So weird.

I’m a huge comic fan. I’ve been collecting for years. My favorites are Preacher, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Saga, Secret Six, way too many to cover, really. I’m going to a convention this weekend, actually: Megacon, in Orlando. Anybody else going?

I also have a weekly comic book review and discussion podcast. I’d love for you guys to check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/therealbt4w?ref=hl

Im not an extremely big comic fan but when i do read its spider-man, the new avengers or green lantern.

The new 52’s by Scott Snyder, or any of his works for that matter, are awesome. Batman and Swamp Thing especially. Also, if you’re a comedy guy, you can’t go wrong with Deadpool

Genji, if you like the new 52 stuff, you should check out the new Batwoman comic. J.H. Williams III is seriously like the Orson Welles of modern comics. Guy does it all. Extraordinary visual style. He also drew Promethea, which is an Americas Best book written by Alan Moore. I love both books! His layouts are like airbrushed dream sequences.
But to be fair, right now I’m rereading the Invisibles… All seven volumes. For like, the third time.

I’m more into the dc world myself

Chew. That comic has got it goin’ on! I really, really suggest anyone and everyone getting into it.

My two favorite comic books were Cruelty and Unconditional by Rukis.
Very emotional and real story within, and downright amazing artwork.

Haru

Quick question, Who isn’t into comic books?

1 Like