Graphic Novels - Help a noob please

Hello everyone,

I am getting into graphic novels lately, discovered than more than watch a tv serie in the night I do love to read an hour and fall asleep.

I am very ignorant in the world of graphic novels and I see it is a big world, I see that is insane also the amount of releases of the same opera, different versions, formats and similar.

Until now I read:

Watchmen
Sin City
V for Vendetta
From Hell
Batman - Dark Knight

As I said this is all very mainstream stuff and I am at the very beginning, I started to get interested as I like the movies from some of them so I wondered how the comic will be, I do have a tiny (very tiny) bit of experience with mangas, zero with comics which always fascinated me very much but always got “scared” and sent away by the amount of stories and comics around and also the mix of characters and worlds I find it a bit overwhelming, graphic novel seems like a more tight way to enjoy it, it is a story that start and finish in one book.
I do like mostly those dark story, hard boiled, probably I will enjoy some dystopian syfy and similar stuff, will be curious to get taught by someone that has passion from it :slight_smile:

Watchmen is also the first one I bought:

Thanks a lot!

7 Likes

Welcome brother!!!

I’ve been getting into a lot of Japanese Manga lately. Im reading Beserk for the first time and it’s pretty good so far.

Have you read the walking dead? Certainly the show itself is overhyped but the graphic novels were wonderful.

3 Likes

Second that. The Walking Dead Omnibus collects huge amounts of the comics in one spot. You might be able to find used copies.

2 Likes

Check out Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind…

2 Likes

If you can check out Cowboy Ninja Viking. The story is wild the art is amazing. Only 3 volumes a very good read.

Hellboy
Promised Neverland
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Sandman
IDW’s TMNT run
Locke & Key

Saga is very good and an easy recommendation.

Jeff Lemire’s Animal Man was very good and very weird/creepy.

Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye made me interested in a character I did not care about.

All Star Superman did pretty much the same, made a character I wasn’t interested in much more interesting.

3 Likes

Jeff Lemire’s “Essex” is a mammoth graphic novel and probably my favorite gn. No superhero-type stuff just a family story that takes place over many years and is amazing and even heartbreaking at times. Lemire’s “Underwater Welder” is also amazing and poignant.

1 Like

I definitely need to read more of his work, thank you for the recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the warm welcome in this world and for the reccomendations that I am writing down.

I know many of those titles cause movies (for example Akira, Ghost in the Shell and other stuff), the walking dead interested me a lot but I see there are one million volumes in a comic shop so I was like “ok no” the collections will be amazing (sadly the serie went a bit boring after a while but I know is only the serie).

What I am looking for is literally stories that stays in a book or maximum 2 or 3 books, something that I can start and finish (this is why I never bought manga, story is basically never finished, one million editions, become so confusing, I wanted to do Evangelion for example but I had to drop the idea).

Japanese ones are ok as well, I read one called “the man without talent” which seemed amazing and trying to get it from Italy (I tried to read Watchmen in english but I do still need to read things in my native language to make it easier for my brain).
Have to say that I am getting more fascinated by the american ones, I read around that Sandman has a great story and then the other ones I read already like Sin City, loved the movie, loved even more the book!

I got the 4 volume complete set for like $36 buying used from Amazon/EBay.

2 Likes

I forgot about Saga - AMAZING.

are the new releases any good? I know he took time off and just picked it back up

2 Likes

I don’t buy individuals either, I wait for them to come out. Walking Dead has a 4 volume compendium that’s really good and it’s the whole thing

2 Likes

Amazing I have a look at it on the bay as I am very curious about the graphic novel, seems so much better than the serie.

Obviously you can use this post to share each other, I am a noob so I feel kind of a bit lost and obviously following the most “famous” stuff just to find myself in this world.

I already noticed that buy those books is as much dangerous as buy new yoyos :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Priest, Saga, Y the last man, Hellraiser

There are shorter manga, like Akira, Nausicca, Erased, and such that you can get through in 4-6 compiled volumes.

Also, I forgot to mention Bone and Sweet Tooth, which are both also excellent!

1 Like

I haven’t read the second half yet but there are two volumes out already. I will pick them up soon.

Akira is six volumes and Nausicaa is available in a two volume set. And those are both classics that essentially validated the genre. Sure, they originally came in singe twenty or thirty page issues, but their graphic novel formats are collections.

Jeff Lemire’s “Sweet Tooth” is incredible. I have the 5-6 books collecting all the comics. Most of Jeff’s work is very quirky and touches on emotional levels. The stuff I love most by him contains no superheroes or intergalactic villains or whatever.

And since someone mentioned TMNT, if you get a chance you should check out this short series they ran back in '90 and '91. A much darker, grittier side of the turtles, and great storytelling.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles