Anybody have any fun baking projects this summer?

Won’t wade into the cake and pie debate… (I don’t like either. :P)

However, for those new to baking I can’t recommend trying this recipe if you haven’t. It’s super easy and rewarding. All you need is flour, yeast, salt water and a Dutch oven and you can make an amazing loaf of bread. The first time you do it it feels magical. You can easily also use this recipe to make pizza dough from scratch and then throw a pizza party where everyone makes their own pizzas.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

9 Likes

Wow that looks awesome! I can almost taste it just looking at it!

2 Likes

We had a great dew berry season this year in Texas, and we made a few cobblers with them. Didn’t take any pictures of them though :confused:

5 Likes

Do you use a starter for that? Or the instant dry yeast? Just curious, because we do a loaf very similar at my restaurant in Dutch ovens. But we have a decent starter that’s about 6 months old now

I’ve done it with a natural sour dough starter but typically I just use a dry yeast, the kind you buy at the grocery. Simple.

4 Likes

Cakes are for people that can’t make pies

3 Likes

Well I don’t know about ya’ll…but I’mma have a slice of cake AND pie and wash it down with a whole quart of ice cream!

1 Like

Now THAT sounds like a good plan.

Cookies>pie>cake. The cookie monster is one of my childhood heroes. My sister in law just made some delicious rhubarb crisp last weekend. I wanna give a Rhubarb pie a shot one of these days.

3 Likes

Ever heard Cookie Monster by R Kelley (probably misspelled that)? My wife used to terrorize me with that song anytime I fell asleep in her car. It’s truly god-awful. Anyway your post made me think of that, cheers.

1 Like

Then there are cheese cakes. And my dudes I make the best.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, a good cheesecake is just about on top now that I think about it.

1 Like

I switched to dark chocolate chips in my cookies. Does that qualify?

A little less dessert oriented baking for us [so far :wink:]

My wife and I have been making baked apple pie oatmeal for breakfasts. One batch lasts about a week between my oldest and I.

We pre-soak the oats overnight with a cap full of apple cider vinegar, because it makes them easier to digest and slightly more nutritious.

We’ve been using local apples along with some store-bought shelled pecans, maple, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, two eggs and some melted butter.

It yields a more firm consistency than your normal stove top oatmeal. It’s actually quite delicious.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t consider this baking in the same as doing some awesome hand made pies, but I have been doing my own pizza dough lately, and that’s turned out pretty well the last couple times. Also - I’m from Michigan as well! Whereabouts are you? I’m near Detroit.

Ooh a good home made pizza sounds great! I’m in the opposite corner of the lp, about an hour and a half north of Traverse City.

1 Like

We were just up in Traverse City and Boyne City about a month and a half ago on our honeymoon - freaking love it up there.

1 Like

I love it too. Lakes, smaller towns, and trees as far as the eye can see. Always a great place to be! (Unless you don’t like winter of course!)

1 Like

My wife just made a chocoflan. It’s cooling. I can’t wait. I sacrificed my NTH middle finger while checking doneness, so I hope it’s worth it.

1 Like

That sounds bloody amazing !

1 Like