Anybody good with Computers?

I’m stuck in quarantine and my PC is no longer booting. :frowning: i got a disk read error twice and now it’s just asking me to insert boot media. I tried launching through BIOS but it’s all dead ends. Am I up poop creek?

2 Likes

If you have the disk used to load the OS you should be able to boot from that. No rescue or diagnostic disk?

2 Likes

I built this badboy a decade ago, I don’t believe i have any of that. I did get system repair to launch and system recovery took over. Now it’s asking for my installation disc to continue. Poop creek

1 Like

If you’re using Windows and you have your OS’s product key, you can download the OS ISO file and make an installation DVD or USB stick.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

2 Likes

I’m still on windows 7 because i’m a geezer. Lol. Thanks for the help, both of you! But I think this is just gonna be a matter of getting a new boot drive at a later date

2 Likes

this could very well be your problem.

Sincerely,

Apple Fanboi

Seriously though. Hopefully this gets worked out. I use both systems regularly, but prefer Mac.

6 Likes

Lol. I’m using it for games at this time, and none of the MTG programs have made their way to Mac sadly.

4 Likes

noted @quinton

3 Likes

No worries! I hope you get it sorted out!

I gravitate towards Windows but Macs have served us really well. We’ve had MacBooks since 2007 (we’re on our third now, just bought last year) and each lasted 6 years. That said I currently live on iPhone/iPad lol.

3 Likes

i’m using the same macbook pro from late 2010, lol… that was my first mac… we got my wife one after. just like you said though, we’re pretty much flying from the ipads and iphones now…

3 Likes

Easiest solution is probably replace the boot drive. Make the current drive secondary and hope you can copy your stuff off of it.

1 Like

Does the BIOS have any listing of hard drives or hard drive health/error rate anywhere?

1 Like

First, check the cables. Make sure the drive is connected and powering up.

What @MarkD said.

If you have another computer, you could download a bootable Linux ISO, put it on a CD/DVD or thumb drive, boot with that and use it to analyze your drive, and possibly repair it. Pretty much any way you get an OS running on your machine would also work, IF the drive is recoverable. Alternatively, remove the drive and put it in another machine to run diagnostics on it.

3 Likes

Step 1. Get a very large hammer
Step2. Reach for credit card / checkbook.
Step 3. Check funds
Step 4. Depending on Step 3, take hammer and release all that pent up anger / frustration on said device.
Step 5. Hide the guilt in a bucket, cover, put in a corner somewhere, and purchase new device.

3 Likes

Step 6. Purchase Yo-yo to forget the entire aforementioned incident even happened…

3 Likes

I was going to suggest this. Or have someone download linux for you tp usb.
You’ll be up and running again.

1 Like

You could try popping out the CMOS battery on the motherboard for a few seconds then booting back up. Or try different SATA ports/cables on your boot drive

I 100% LOVE that we can all give input on stuff other than yoyo, because we share the same interest in a toy. Makes me feel so content :slight_smile:

Sometimes windows can be hard to fix. Try downloading an Ubuntu Disk Image and writing it to a USB. Im assuming your on a phone so EtchDroid is a good way to write it. There are tons of software out there that can write ISO disk images to USBs, so you don’t have to use EtchDroid.