Any other bearing removal techniques?

So i just bought a DV888 and I wanted to put my center track bearing in it that came in my starlite. I was able to to get the bearing out of my starlite easily using the pliers method but had A LOT of trouble with the DV888 and eventually ended up breaking the bearing after trying the YYF bearing removal tool and trying the string trick. I now need to clean my center track bearing that has been in my DV888 but i cant get it out. Ive tried the bearing removal tool, the pliers method and the string method and still nothing has worked. Is there any other techniques you guys know of? I know that yyf seats come pretty tight but this is ridiculous i shouldnt have to break a bearing to get it off.

Try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then use the tools previously mentioned.

The cold will cause the materials to contract. The aluminum hub will contract more than the steel bearing and that should loosen it to some degree.

already tried that forgot to mention that

I wouldn’t give up on the freezer method, just leave it in for longer and remember to wiggle not pull on the bearing. If a else fails contact yyf to see what they can do.

yeah i stuck it back in the freezer with the string trick assembled so maybe that will work but prolly not. If it doesnt im leaving it in there over night. I sent yyf an email earlier today about it but havent heard back from them yet.

I’d try the pliers/wiggle bit or the bearing removal tool again after a good long freeze.

1 Like

I would suggest that if it hasn’t been applied, then patience might be good advice.

This is twice in a week we’ve heard of bearings being destroyed because users are being impatient.

Please, take your time. Rock the bearing back and forth, gently. It may take a minute(or two), but it WILL come out. I think people are getting impatient and are trying to muscle it out.

1 Like

The key to getting out a stuck bearing is patience, as Studio42 mentioned and rocking with the tool (As he also mentioned).

ok ill give that a try. I didnt realize thats how long it took i just pulled it out of the freezer.

well, i sat here and i rocked and rocked it and rocked it some more but the thing will not budge

Be patient.

Don’t use “The FORCE”. Use “the finesse!”

thats what im doing. Since ive taken out of the freezer ive prolly spent close to 30 or 40 min. on and off, rocking it with no force like you said but it wont come off. It hasnt budged, this entire time i’ve done nothing to push the bearing back on. I figured if i did a few mon at a time and then let it sit it would eventually come off but it hast even moved lol

No offense, but you’re doing something wrong.
Not being able to see what it is, it’s hard to give you advice.

ill see if i can make a video of it tomorrow, I just dont get how i could be doing something wrong. Ive taken out bearings before with no problems, I literally just removed the bearing in my starlight to put in a new one

he’s not necessarily doing something wrong. I had a yuuksta a while back that the bearing was impossible to remove. sent it back in to the store I got it from, and they ended up cutting the bearing open (like the outter ring) and trying from that angle, but the inner ring part wouldn’t budge. so I sent it in to yyf directly and they just ended up replacing it.

not saying that this is the case, but it is possible that a bearing just won’t come out.

There’s been two recent people complaining of bearing being stuck and destroying bearings. And these are from what i take to be fairly new yoyos.

Now, correct me if I’m wrong here. As I understand it correctly, the anodizing process actually adds a tiny bit thickness. If the bearing seat is so tight in the first place, then it’s only going to get worse through anodizing. We’re talking very small tolerances and I’m not sure it’s entirely feasible to measure every single bearing seat. We’re talking thousandths of an inch here? Smaller? Chances are these are smaller values than the machines can be adjusted to.

In assembly, I’m sure there’s a small group of people snapping in bearings, screwing in axles and tightening halves together. I’m wondering how possible or practical it would be to add a “bearing check” process after the yoyo has been fully assembled to ensure the axle is fine and the bearing CAN come out with “reasonable effort”. I don’t know how beneficial this would be to YYF as a whole. It just seems like a “freak” thing happens, which in machining can be chalked up to “stuff happens”. Since bearings are precision devices, and really, so are most yoyos these days, if one or both are out of spec a little bit, I guess that’s where the problems come up. There has to be tolerances with both elements, which no doubt doesn’t help much when things aren’t coming together properly, or rather coming back apart.

I bet YYF may be taking such “stuck bearing returns” and then filing down the offending areas a little bit, testing it and then maybe selling it as a B-grade.

I believe anodize is about 2 thousandths of an inch which is roughly twice the tolerances of a yoyo (I believe).

Finally got the bearing off. I brought it into the store i bought it from and asked if they had any ideas or had seen anything like this before, and they had once before and had to bust the bearing to get it off. The guy there has been yo yo’ing for a number of years so he knew what he was doing and it took him about 20 min for him to get it off. He started out gently rocking it back and forth and that went no where real fast and eventually just started wrenching on it and then it finally came off. Not sure if the bearing is salvageable or not ill find out tomorrow. I’m thinking of lightly sanding down the bearing seat if yyf wont do anything abut it

Send an email to the place of purchase NOW and if it’s within their return/exchange period, then see what they can or will do.

If you want to save time, contact YYF as well and see what they are willing to do.

I just did some bearing stuff myself. MyRecRev Sharp didn’t like the bearing in it, so I swapped that Terrapin X bearing for a different one. Love!

Tried the swapped out Terrapin X bearing in my Speeder 2… not so happy. Opened it up, it had some crap in there. No doubt it was bits of dried silicone from not properly and completely cleaning out the RecRev Sharp after siliconing it(I had it modified to accept flowable). Bearing all better now. A bit loud, but working otherwise flawlessly. I put back in the YYJ Speed bearing in my Speeder 2. Since I was in a maintenance mood, I popped a new string on there and cut it to size. Not sure if I’m liking properly sized strings, but I’ll ride it out.

The bearings came in and out of my Speeder 2 no problem. The bearing came out of my Sharp with help from the YYF Multi-Tool.

But, if nobody will do anything about it, I agree, lightly sand down the bearing seat. Just, be super carefull and wear safety goggles.

I emailed yyf last week and still havent heard back from them, the place i bought it from gave me a free bearing for my trouble so i was fine with that. I had a bunch of left over sand paper from a previous project so i took some 800 grit and lightly sanded and its perfect now. Still a pretty tight seat but i can now remove it with a pliers