Any Musicians Out There??

As far as acoustics I’m a drummer first and foremost. Played in surf rock to post-core bands growing up. I now produce digital music. I sell hip hop beats at thxmos.com but my main interest is in future house. I took piano in college and I am self taught guitar (campfire song quality I’m nothing good) You can knock digital production if you want but it’s much harder than any analog instrument I’ve ever tried. :smiley: I just love all music

1 Like

does this count as being a musician? :joy::wink:

1 Like

I dont think so but I decided to put it here anyway lol

1 Like

Wow, read through about the first third of this thread a saw “banjo” mentioned only once. I play one first mostly because almost no one can tell wether that’s the way its supposed to sound or not and second it’s just fun to make noise!

2 Likes

Started piano when I was young. Joined high school band my freshman year as a drummer. Turned out to be my natural instrument. Senior year the horn sections were decimated by graduation so I started covering trumpet, baritone and alto sax on songs, depending on what we needed most. Got accepted as a music major at a major university on my choice, percussion or piano. Backed out of college and became a full time musician playing synths in a band. Picked up guitar and bass at some point. When I retired I bought a banjo, flute and set of harmonicas. Have not learned them yet.

Oh, also bought a didgeridoo. Looking forward to learning it and waking up the neighbors in the middle of the night with strange outback music. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a bass player studying Jazz and Studio Performance in college; it is really nice to be pursuing a music career, not just in jazz but in many other areas as well. I know this COVID thing has got many musicians stuck in a rut, here’s to hoping the vaccine works and we’ll all get to play safely again!

I play banjo and mandolin, but not all that well.

1 Like

You certainly have a nice banjo. Mine is the same brand but doesn’t have the resonator. Bought it without a resonator because the resonator concentrates the sound outward. Mine, an open back, is not as loud as that model because some of the sound is directed backwards and muffled by hitting my clothing. I live in a large apartment complex and want to be able to keep playing.

1 Like

A Birthday gift from my Father a few years ago.

You prefer three finger or claw hammer style?

Dads are great! I started three finger Scruggs style because that was the only teacher in the area. It really needed to be played in conjunction with a few other instruments. One day I got a suggestion from Deering to look at a video by Barry Hun who was teaching clawhammer and liked it much better so did that for a year until I ran across two finger old time style and that is what I’m trying to learn now. I just like the sound of a banjo.

1 Like

Im mostly a three finger fella. I enjoy claw hammer, but picking out the melody with my hammer is too much for my brain!

I never posted here, but I guess I’m a musician.

Was a music major (composition). Mostly play bass (electric and upright) along with ukulele, piano, drums when I have to lol. I’m in a fun little local cover band and a decade ago I released a couple independent albums (which you can find on Spotify/iTunes/whatever). I sometimes post bass stuff on my insta.

Gotta have a hobby right? Can’t just play yo-yo all day!

5 Likes

Who built your upright? Also, where do I get one of those giant end pin stoppers? :joy:

2 Likes

It’s a lacrosse ball!!! :rofl:
My upright is an early 50’s west German laminated bass. It’s strange in that it has a super large endpin hole which I’ve rarely seen. So I had to get a modified endpin when I replaced it and when the ferrule wore out I couldn’t find one which fit. I was at school the day of a gig and was scrambling to find an answer. A lacrosse ball worked perfect and it’s stayed on there for 10 years lol.

3 Likes

Paging Dr Ka’Pow (Instrumental) just blew my mind!!!

1 Like

Hahaha thanks! I find so much of that album totally cringy and unlistenable now. But I had a great time making it!

1 Like

I enjoy three finger too but after my next door neighbor told me she really hoped I would try something different because all she heard through the wall were the same rolls over and over and over. Guess through a wall the different chords could be not be detected, trying my best to keep peace and play. Goes without saying that Philip Glass is my most favorite classical composer.

1 Like