Any Italian speakers?

Any Italian speakers? Any tips and tricks on learning second languages? My great grandpa came from Sicilia when he was pretty young and I think Americans are boring so I want to learn Italian and embrace my Italian side. I’m also learning more about the Italian culture and I think it’s super awesome.

1 Like

Been there, done that. But it’s the third language for me. My 2nd Wifey is half Italian - that helps a lot. There are some great apps - at least in Germany. Can you get your hands on Bable maybe - if available in English/Italian. Works great!

2 Likes

Whoa what languages do you know? I’d really like to hang out with some true Italians.

2 Likes

Since being German, we’ll, my mother tongue. And, as you might have already suggested, a tiny bit of English as well :nerd_face:

Italian, French and I might get lost in China but I won’t be starving, some mandarin.

But the latter three all have to be assisted with creativity and gestures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

haha! Awesome my dude. Are you fluent in Italian?

1 Like

Nope, unfortunately not. But I can get along - but, what is quite nice, I understand let’s say 65% - since switching from German to Englisch regularly, it’s a pain in the a…. learning another language in parallel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh interesting.

1 Like

Learning Italian too. I like to listen a podcast called Pensieri e Parole.

Btw, in case you have not seen it, take a look at this montage of our last throw in Italy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Love Martin Logan speakers! The imaging is brilliant. But they are not Italian.

I work in Professional Audio, and most of the high-end transducer manufacturing for loudspeakers happen in Italy (B&C, 18 Sound, RCF, La Voce to name a few). Every time I scroll past this I think Italian loudspeakers lol

1 Like

I think I’m the only Italian in the forum. At least the only active one.

4 Likes

Oh you’re Italian! I remember seeing some of your tutorials and remembering an accent I think but it never occurred to me you are Italian.

1 Like

I lived and worked in Italy for a while in the 2000’s, took Italian lessons before I left but only truly learnt once I was there. I also speak some French, enough to get by. Here in the UK there’s a declining trend in learning additional languages, which as Europeans is a shame.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re not the first one that tells me that my accent does not look Italian, lol. I guess it’s because the classic italenglish accent comes from Southern Italian speakers worldwide, they have a totally different sound.

2 Likes

Does knowing “pepperoni pizza” count? I’ve forgotten most all of it but I used to know some Sicilian slang. I grew up in an area of a lot of Italian truck farmers mostly from Sicily.

2 Likes

I guess it counts if you know what Pepperoni (peperoni, to spell it correctly) actually means it Italian. :nerd_face: Fun fact, Peperone, (or plural, peperoni) is the sweet pepper. If you oder a “pizza con peperoni” in Italy you will be served a vegetarian pizza. What is called Pepperoni in America is “salame piccante” in Italy :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Man this is the most amazing fun fact of my Sunday. So salme piccante. Now I know how to p.o. the 20 pizza places near my home with my new knowledge. jj it’s interesting.

1 Like

Ha! Another thing the Italian- Americans got wrong. My family and I are Italian Americans. My great grandfather came from Sicily when he was young and my family has been here since. I’m not sure what year he came but it was awhile ago.

1 Like

What’s your favorite Italian word?

wow that’s a great question! I’ve never really thought about it.
I’d say it is “Effimero” (to translitterate the pronounce, it’s something like [ E PFÝ MÆ RO ]) which means ephemeral\transient. I like the way it sounds and what it means.

1 Like