Any hobby that you totally failed at?

Lake are golf ball magnets when I’m around…

Too fun to give up on! Plus, cant throw at your desk haha so may as well have a beg around

1 Like

I’m begin’ as we speak!

1 Like

I fail constantly at hobbies, but enjoy the process of trying. A few that i consider my biggest fails:

Cardistry: i love watching it. Practicing was fun here and there, but i dont have the motivation to grind out the basics to keep me content with the hobby.

Leather working: i feel im a relatively practical person and many would consider me roughly a minimalist. Because of that, i tend to find it difficult finding projects that i enjoy and have a use for. I think if i came up with ideas, id enjoy making more with leather.

Yoyo related:

2a. Enough said. :joy:

Trying to design and sell a yoyo felt like a big fail for quite some time. I dont consider it a fail as much anymore after i gave so many of them away and seeing how much people enjoyed them.

As it probably states in a self help book somewhere or like maybe one of those “live laugh love” signs:

(Imagine fancy fonts)

No moment in life is a failure if you learn from it.

1 Like

RC cars . I spent weeks building a car only to wreck it in less than 3 minutes :roll_eyes: fixed again destroyed in about 2 minutes . I gave up.

5 Likes

RC Cars I did ok with. It was the RC Helicopters that were my demise. Hours, days, weeks of building and tuning. 30 seconds to a minute of air time. Repeat.

4 Likes

Chess. I want to be good so bad. But no matter how many books, or lessons I take, my mind just doesn’t seem to work that way

3 Likes

Does Yo-yoing count? Cause I keep failing at not buying anymore

1 Like

I’d call that failing upwards.

I rarely get to play chess face-to-face (never played online) with anyone. I like it because it’s fun. I could care less about winning. I guess if you’re trying to compete and never getting any better it’d be a bummer but for casual playing you’ll get better eventually. Weird fact: there are more possible different games of chess than there are atoms in the observable universe.

1 Like

I love Chess.

Online is not the same.

No matter how you start the game, its always different. Every time a piece moves or comes off the board, its a new game.

While I love the game, I have no desire to put in the study time to be a master.

I enjoy the game for the game.

2 Likes

Failed at butterfly knives as a kid. I had a cheapy made in china flipper and I was starting to learn aerials and stuff when I realized I really don’t trust my cheap horrible knife to stay together. Never got a proper one and at this point I would rather spend what I’d have to drop for a nice knife toward yoyoing. Maybe I’ll grab a trainer some time but I think I lost interest.

2 Likes

Basically every hobby. I like trying out new thing but get bored. The good thing is that I’ll cycle back to old hobbies consistently because I do genuinely enjoy them, so I figure I’ll eventually get decent.

Right now I’m back to speedcubing. After my upcoming vacation, I’m planning on re-stringing my guitar and giving that another go, though I’m positive my fingers will never be nimble enough to be anything better than “not terrible”.

And then of course there’s yoyoing …

6 Likes

I used to be really into yoga but it wasn’t deep enough. Then I was really into Brazilian jiu jitsu but I kept getting injured. Then I got really into magic the gathering both paper and arena and was grinding online like I was pretty good and won 2,000$ in an online tournament so I was into it lol but I got really fat w/o something fun and active to do and I was depressed being on the computer so much so I quit that grind. Then I found Yoyo :hugs: .

None were failures really but I’ve had some hobbies I quit before. I’m still down to play paper mtg if we’re playing edh. Also I have a dnd group but it’s kind of a failure bc we play like once every few months and it’s taking forever to get through.

6 Likes

I have thought about it. That story is your music gift to the world. You never know what situation will result in a paradigm shift for anyone.

I appreciate your dad in that situation I will use that on my boys. Thank you for the insight it will be put to good use.

Apologize for the delay response

1 Like

Anything that requires musical talent! I just don’t have the skillset for it.

5 Likes

Golf. Got a good reminder of that today. But you know I’ll be out there again because I had a few good shots out of the 90+!

6 Likes

I shot a 72 once.

It was on the front 9.

4 Likes

There’s no bad day of golf. :golf:

4 Likes

@Pun1sh3R that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day

2 Likes