Antidote or Variant?

Looking for a speedy and rim weighted but also a little stable plastic throw. I’m thinking of the Variant or Antidote. Open to other suggestions also that are around the same price range.

I’m thinking of these 2 because the Variant is backed up and developed by one of the bigger YouTube yoyoers Brandon Vu, and the Antidote looks like a good throw that is modeled after the Corruption, and worked in association with Top Yo who is a good plastic company.

4 Likes

I haven’t played the Variant but I really like the Antidote! Such a great plastic!

1 Like

Isn’t the variant kind of oversized? It’s 61.57mm compared to 56.4mm for the antidote.

That’d probably be my determining factor along with fingerspinning.

Stable and rimweighted plastic? Too bad the protostar finally sold out. The dove is also extremely stable. Topyo mojo grew on me exponentially even though it’s pretty vibey.

2 Likes

Antidote is amazing!

2 Likes

Don’t really think plastic yoyo have much rim weight unless it’s a yoyo like Something Slash or Sureshot.

3 Likes

Well, I have both and I can assure the Variant is definitely rim weighted.

Here’s my opinion:
The antidote is wider, it has a nice smooth finish and a metal fingerspin hub, so it is perfect for grinds and fongerspins, but it definitely lacks a lot in spintime.

The Variant is narrower and larger in diameter. Its much stable and spins forever (for being a plastic). But it has a glossy finish which is terrible for grinding and fingerspins

They are two completely different plastic yoyos

5 Likes

i have to agree with you. i personally would recommend the Antidote.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Both great choices for sure! Antidote really feels machined in terms of how it spins - is very nimble feeling. Variant is larger and you can really feel where it is in space - powerful spin, etc. They are both great for their own reasons… :blush:

5 Likes

Protostar is still in stock on a certain website…

1 Like

It is the same story over and over and over. Some post asking which yoyo is best. Other people respond talking about how great the yoyo’s are. I end up wanting one or both of the yoyo’s. … … … PLEASE STOP IT!

4 Likes

I already got one of the last stock protostars from YYE due to it only being $10 when it was in stock. Haha

Urgh I had this same dilemma last week. I decided to go with the replay pro instead since it was cheaper, although the big brain move is to just buy all of them… eventually.

2 Likes

I have the replay pro and it’s a power house. I personally don’t like the way it feels but it’s a good yoyo

3 Likes

I burned through 2 over the past 3 years. It was mostly when I wrecked my metal yoyos and needed something to get by with, so I learned to like it. I’ve got mostly metal ones right now, so I decided I need a cheap one to carry around with me whenever.

2 Likes