ANNIE MAYS HERE

Just watch Akira then you never have to see any anime ever again.

A mix between Akira, Serial Experiments: Lain, and One Piece pretty much cover everything other than High School drama nonsense that anime has become famous for. To me, the less of that the better, but starting off with some of the absolute best stories ever put to paper is better than starting with Japanese Downton Abbey with kids.

Itā€™s a large medium. so itā€™s a bit narrow minded to generalize all other anime as ā€œHigh School drama nonsenseā€.
There are better shows than those three that I could recommend.

One Piece is too long. Is it still ongoing? I donā€™t have 1000 episodes worth of ANY anime in me.

Super long shows like that just lack substance to me. I just donā€™t have that kind of time anyway.

one piece is about half way through last time i checked. then after that will be two piece.

One Piece is, in my opinion, a great cross-section of anime. It has great moments and a ton of filler. What popular, long-running anime doesnā€™t? I think Oda wants to keep it going until 1200 episodes or so and I sincerely hope he makes it happen. We need a good, fully realized conclusion and with the way One Piece has parsed out itā€™s story morsels, that will take a good 10 years at least.

Also, Iā€™m not saying that every anime other than the ones Iā€™ve listed is about High School kids getting into all sorts of crazy antics, but it certainly did sound like that. There are hundreds and hundreds of popular anime series that donā€™t go that route, but I think the three I listed cover a very wide swath of anime as a whole. One Piece fits into the ā€œlong-running and insanely popularā€ category, Akira fits into the ā€œabsolute classicā€ category, and Serial Experiments fits into the ā€œanime is art for the mind and soul, so donā€™t ignore itā€ category. I think the best anime series to start with are those that mimic Western media more closely. Tossing a dudebro in front of FLCL and expecting him to rave about how awesome it is at the end is a lofty goal that most wonā€™t realize, so basic, artsy, and important anime is my preferred way to go.

Iā€™ve noticed no oneā€™s listed any romantic comedies yet. Thatā€™s disappointing.

1 Like

I prefer to read the manga myself, however Iā€™m a anime fan at times as well.

I read the entire of Akira (2500+ pages) in one day a few weeks ago. Sensational manga, canā€™t believe how much stuff goes on that the movie never covers, it sort of ruined the movie for me a bit, but I donā€™t really mind since I enjoyed the manga so much.

Anime wise;

Attack on Titan is getting my full attention at the moment. It took a little while to get used to the animating style but itā€™s been done absolutely brilliantly. No filler, no nonsense, stays true to the manga, itā€™s no wonder everyone is loving it. I really hope they stick to what theyā€™re doing for the next few series when they eventually arrive.

Personally I miss the gore of the manga, it makes for quite a jarring/intense read and I feel that the censorship in the anime takes away some of the feel of the manga, however considering just how brutal it is, Iā€™m not surprised.

I used to be a massive Naruto fan but I stopped watching it completely after they butchered the Pain/Pein fight. The animation was a joke and all the rubbish they added in just ruined what was (imo) the greatest ark in all of Naruto. Why on earth would Pain survive being hit on the head with a couple of thousand tonnes of rock multiple times but die from one measly Rasengan? It was a shambles.

Iā€™ve found that the Naruto anime tends to have way too much filler. Too many non-canon episodes, too many needless flashbacks in between fight scenes, just too much deviation from the manga for my liking. Not that the manga itself is doing much better recentlyā€¦

Tempted to start watching Code Geass. I read the manga up to the point it ended (much to my chagrin), so Iā€™d like to see what happened from there.

Wait until they start having five to ten minutes of recap every episode and a recap episode. I liked SnK, but some of the recap nonsense got annoying.

Big fan of Ninja Scroll (duh), Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Mushishi, Vampire Hunter D & Bloodlust, Paprika and Claymore to name a few.

3 Likes

The happening is too real.

I just started watching Attack on Titan.

Out of curiosity, what is that book? I rarely see the character so written like that on the stuff I use.

This is the Nakama 1a workbook. The explanation that we were given was that this is the handwritten style.

ā€œYou are human beings, not printersā€¦so write like a human.ā€

1 Like

Just finished Angel Beats. Pretty good and only 13 episodes!

I Donā€™t watch a whole lot of anime anymore, but 10 years ago I couldnā€™t get enough. One of my favorites has to be Hikaru No Go.