Aluminum alloys used for yoyos

Similar shape and specs, but the weight distribution is pretty different, is bigger and have an improved response area.

Weight: 63.5
Width: 44.4
diameter: 55.5

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure why manufacturers donā€™t use this a lot more if the price is comparable to 6061. Is is harder to anodise or not so readily avaliable?

There could be many reasons, and I can only speculate, but the biggest reason must be simply because is relatively new. Not all factories have it.
Is actually a more expensive than 7075, 6061 is cheaper enough to impact production desicion, so I dont expect it to replace 6061.
But it can replace 7075, it anodizes better, have similar density, is stronger, plus lead free.

1 Like

I really like the look of this yoyo and the diameter and weight. I just wish itā€™s width was more like 42. I just find that slightly thinner yoyos feel more powerful and furious in play.

YouĀ“ll be surprised how powerful is this baby for a 63g monometal :slight_smile:
But ultimately, is still in prototype mode, and is not the only one i made (making 2 monometals and one bimetal) , so, nothing is definitive except the alloy ill use.

Neohamster is a legend. Not only is he out there constantly trying new things but heā€™s also quick to answer any question we have about it with plenty of detail. ;D

A snazzy new alloy thatā€™s stronger than 7075 and only $100? Consider me sold.

1 Like

Yep. NeoHamster is a champion. Iā€™ll be buying at least 1.2 of these.

1 Like

Thank you for your support guys!, I try to deliver in every single throw I make and IĀ“m trying to keep innovating and do fresh and original stuff (even if is not that practical, but nice for collectors, like Gibeon Meteorite rings! the sky is the limit!).
But also, I will have to make some more conventional stuff as well like a cheap 6061 monometal soon to make all this economically sustainable, IĀ“m not rich, just a regular Gaijin in japan with family in a small rented house that is trying to find out the way to make yoyos full time because I love making yoyos! :slight_smile:

Hope I can have your support for long time!

3 Likes

You got my support! Looking forward to this new line!

1 Like

NeoHamster, that stuff is seriously cool. However you blasted that or anodized it, or even if itā€™s just how the alloy looks, itā€™s really, really awesome. Count me in when you release it!

It is anodized, blasted blue.

you have my support for as long as I yoyo!

Some day you are going to have to tell us the story of how you ended up in Japan. :slight_smile:

Quite simple, I met a Japanese girl in Vancouver and we got married :slight_smile:

Awesome job- Iā€™ll definitely be buying one of these! Iā€™m curious: do you know how thin you can get the walls of the yoyo to be without it bending/warping easily?

To be honest, I donĀ“t know how thin it can go, i need to test, but be sure iĀ“ll be pushing it as much as I can. Masamunes walls are .9mm without problems, (IĀ“m not sure if there is a yoyo around with thinner walls, even titaniums), an im planning to keep pushing. Although thin walls is not the goal, just gives more chance to distribute the weight, how it plays at the end is what it counts regardless of the measures.

1 Like