Adventures in Cooking

Ooohh… Look at that. I ate those just yesterday.

3 Likes

We brined, spatchcocked, and roasted the 1st 2 the day before. They came out tasty too! Taste like I remember chicken tasting before the whole ‘monster’ chicken craze in factory farming here (USA).

3 Likes

Yeah, tasty! That would be waaaaaay better than the one I had then. . .

3 Likes

So we saw where cooking chicken thighs in a muffin tin worked well somewhere online. Tried it out. Works great actually as it cooks in whatever you season with. To bad the same brand/pack had such different size thighs. Lemon, butter, basil and oregano, curry, chili powder.

Plating was a bit corny.

8 Likes

My parents were part of a cow-share and have a lot of ground beef, so we made this “tamale” pie with it tonight, substituting leeks for the scallions (because they got them in their CSA and they needed to be used) and non-fat Greek yogurt for sour cream (because the sour cream in their fridge had gone bad); we also only had crushed tomatoes and not whole canned ones, so we just drained the crushed ones. The ground beef is really fatty (I’d estimate 75/25) so we browned it first and removed excess fat, and then we only have a 10” cast iron skillet while the recipe calls for a 12”, so we split some of it into another baking dish.

It really was quick and easy to put together and really good to boot; J. Kenji Lopez-Alt doesn’t miss. It’s basically baked chili with cornbread on top, hard to go wrong there.

7 Likes

So true! And if he learns a better way he tells it! Looks delicious! We love cast iron too, so versatile. This is a great corn bread recipe.

Food Lab ‘Better home cooking through science’ - is a most amazing cook book and a steal @$30 for all the info in it.

He is also the guy behind the old ‘America’s Test Kitchen’ tv show. When they said, ‘we tried this recipe 55 different ways’ that was Kenji a lot of the time. And he kept notes, making it science lol.

We got on a crust burger kick from the Food Lab. They’re great and so easy to cook. For years it’s been that big thick medium rare patty everywhere, but as he says, trust in the crust.

4 Likes

WoW! I’ve gotta try this!

2 Likes

Quick toss together lunch bang bang shrimp and fried rice. Got the sauce really dialed in. Going to do the shrimp on a bed of red cabbage slaw for some passed HDs this weekend

5 Likes

Thanks for posting as we had to look it up try it! :slight_smile:

What’s your sauce if you don’t mind sharing.

This was ours, a copy cat from Bonefish Grill from this terrible website ‘The recipe critic’, tons of pop ups and the 4 pages of BS before the recipe. While it was good, it wasn’t great. Fun recipe to think about and work with though. Some spicy crispy chili garlic would work well I think.
Ingredients

▢ 1 lb large shrimp (31-35 ct. per pound), peeled and deveined
▢ canola oil for frying
▢ 3/4 cup milk
▢ 1 large egg
▢ 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
▢ 3/4 cup cornstarch
▢ 3/4 tsp kosher salt
▢ 1/2 cup low-fat mayo
▢ 2 tbsp Asian chili garlic sauce
▢ ½ tsp (or more) sriracha
▢ 1/2 tsp lemon juice
▢ 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

I put extra red pepper, some ground smoked habanero powder, and doubled the sriracha.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Ummm, yes it was… :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Try some banana bread…

7 Likes

Ooo, I may have posted it before, but here’s the Ultimate Banana Bread recipe from Cooks Illustrated. It’s great. No walnuts. The microwave or freeze/thaw method for the juice really steps up the flavor.

Ultimate Banana Bread (from Cooks Illustrated)

1¾ cups (8¾ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
6 large very ripe bananas (about 2¼ pounds), peeled
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
¾ cup packed (5¼ ounces) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.

2. Place 5 bananas in a microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in the plastic with a paring knife. Microwave on high power until the bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bananas to a fine-mesh strainer placed over a medium bowl and allow to drain, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes (you should have ½ to ¾ cups liquid).

3. Transfer the liquid to a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until it’s reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir the reduced liquid into the bananas, and mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in the butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

4. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in the walnuts, if using. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Slice the remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Shingle the banana slices on top of both sides of the loaf, leaving a 1½-inch-wide space down the center to ensure an even rise. Sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly over loaf.

5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55 to 75 minutes. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove the loaf from the pan and continue to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

6 Likes

I’ve been working.

3 Likes

Making the house made habanero hot sauce.

7 Likes

Looks good! Love the fruity flavor of habanero. Still have the chocolate variety seeds I need to grow.

I love this stuff on salads, popcorn, and such.

Crazy that line cook had the highest risk of mortality during the pandemic.

Were Cooks the Largest Occupational Group to Die in the Pandemic?

Claim

“I wish Anthony Bourdain were alive today to articulate the insanity of living in a country where cooks were the largest occupational group to die in a pandemic and restaurant owners are pouting that nobody wants to work in restaurants anymore.”

Rating

True

4 Likes

I loved Tony, we could use a Chef like him around nowadays.

3 Likes

BBQed last night and had some leftover vegan sausages and corn so I made fried rice for dinner.

Beyond sausage, grilled corn, oyster and enoki mushrooms, peanuts, garlic chives, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and ginger

4 Likes

Same. Amazing guy and show.

Haven’t seen it yet. Hope they do him justice.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14512538/

Looks good! I’ve gotta step up my fried rice game. The last couple times I’ve made it I ended up getting it all mushy. A travesty imho.

3 Likes

I’ve found the best success with using a wok over the highest heat my stove can manage, and frying the rice alone for a while before re-adding the mix-ins and sauce

3 Likes