Adventures in Cooking

They’re absolutely amazing and surprisingly easy to make. I alter the recipe (as I do for most desserts) by increasing the Grand Marnier (woot!) and orange zest, and adding Meyer lemon zest for more citrus flavor. :ok_hand:t3:

Chef John’s video is hilarious as well. :joy:

7 Likes

That looks like a must try! I like making a white clam souffle for a meal.

I love his video for Sopa De Ajo too. It’s really good if you like garlic and paprika (smoked/hot).

The Milk Street version of Jose Andrea recipe is also good but more effort.

We’ve gone down the meringue rabbit hole… French, Italian, and Swiss versions for these silly little cute cookies.

Chocolate ganache with raspberry filling.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

6 Likes

You guys are pros…I only do my basic snot. :relaxed:

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to try baking a soufflé but have never been brave enough. I do brownies and simple cakes but never considered myself a baker.

2 Likes

I’m no baker by far! You should make a souffle! Eat them quickly as they deflate somewhat out of the oven. I didn’t know this at 1st and got bummed out with my white clam souffles when they fell before eating/showing them off. So be ready to eat when they’re done. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

sunchokes all day.

5 Likes

Never heard of them, had to look them up.

Fartichokes eh! :rofl: That should go well with flax seed.

What are sunchokes?

Sunchokes are a tubular-shaped, thin-skinned root vegetable of the sunflower plant family that’s in season from late fall through early spring. Often mistakenly referred to as Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes have no origins in Jerusalem, and they really don’t taste like artichokes. If anything, sunchokes can be accurately compared to potatoes, both in how they’re grown underground and their earthy flavor profile. But it’s possible the mix up between sunchokes and artichokes has more to do with the disenchanting root word they share: “choke.”

But before we divulge all the delicious ways you can put sunchokes to good use, we should warn you that sunchokes have another interesting nickname. As one of our food editors put it, they’re also known as “fartichokes.” And we’ll leave it up to you to make the decision on whether its gassy effects are worth the risk.

Edit: Made some chicken chimichangas.

Imgur

7 Likes

BLTs and onion rings

8 Likes

Some beauty tempura looking batter on those onion rings! An old diner here (30yr+) has these massive onion rings that are great! Recommend with a ranch and ketchup mix for dipping along with their fried mushrooms and ranch/horseradish. :smiley:

Edit: Since St. Patty’s is coming up, an oldie but goodie.
Reuben pizza!

Don’t like rye that much so we skip a rye dough or rye croutons on top but that works too.
Spicy thousand island for the sauce. TI with horseradish sauce mixed in.
Top with swiss.
Layer corned beef brisket.
Top with drained and squeezed sauerkraut and pepperoncini’s.
More swiss.
Bake according to crust. This was a handmade, hand tossed Irish ale dough.
Top with fresh sliced dill bits and optional green onions.
Depending on the strength of the kraut you can also do a light drizzle of mustard to balance.

Of course a sammich is great too lol.

8 Likes

Those look like really good onion rings.

I made chicken and dumplings yesterday. They are even better today. It is important to get a good stock. I cooked chicken thighs for 4 hours with onion, celery, sage, salt and pepper. Plenty of salt. Under seasoned dumplings are horrible.

4 Likes

Southern cabbage and corn bread with peppers. Tried to figure out a better photo than just in a bowl with cornbread on top. I like heat and vinegar base with mine to cut through the fat, so some smoked and pickled Serrano peppers on top. Didn’t have any bacon so I used a spoonful of bacon grease in the onions and minced up some smoked ribs from the night before.

8 Likes

I’ve got to go get a snack.

2 Likes

My tips for making taco filling.

Mixes and packs are an okay starting point. I like the big Durkee bottle because it is not as salty as some of the packs and you can adjust the amount you put in.

Most mixes call for a cup of water. Instead, use 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 to 1 cup of salsa. That makes a world of difference.

If the kids don’t want lettuce and tomato on their tacos you can still sneak in some veggies. I like to add black beans and corn. Makes them a bit lighter. Grilled corn cut off of the cob is even better.

A rotisserie chicken makes good tacos. Debone, then mix with a jar of salsa and simmer for a while. You can get creative and add a bit of crushed pineapple. You do need to shred the chicken. Diced chicken does not absorb much of the salsa.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Today, home made risoto

Plus the world famous “family takeaway”.

4 Likes

Is that chicharróns on guac behind the clams? I miss the 2 foot by 3 foot ones an Asian market where I used to live made in a huge wok. Nice plating!

2 Likes

Yes. There pretty good too. We didn’t grow the avocados. Sigh. Thanks dude!!

2 Likes

Seasoning was varied for the ones we bought but plain was great for your own take.

I dislike the larger avocados I’ve tried. No flavor and very watery. How long do they even take to grow? I’ve got seeds I’ve been meaning to sprout of peppers and such but just keep putting it off.

There all beauties Grendel! You’ve got skills. I saw you like knives too which is a sure sign of passion! :smiley:

2 Likes

Cool presentation, but I just see ears when I look at the fish! :grin:

3 Likes

That’s crispy baked skin. Pretty tasty.

5 Likes