Adventures in Cooking

Your birthday?

4 Likes

That was a NICE slice :yum:

4 Likes

Deep fried bacon. - Did you ever get frustrated when you fry bacon and it is done in the middle and not on the ends? Did you ever try baking it in the oven and find that it is gritty because all of those additives are baked onto the bacon rather than washed off in the grease. Did you get tired of frying it after 4 pieces?

I have your answer. I deep fry my bacon in a Frydaddy Grandpappy. It is quick and easy. Fill the oil to one inch below the suggested fill line. This is important because bacon has a lot of moisture and makes the grease bubble a lot. Add 8 slices at a time to the hot oil. Stir the bacon with metal tongs, and remove when you reach the desired brownness. The picture shows one pack of bacon in a gallon Ziplock bag. I normally fry four packs in a session. That fills a gallon bag and does in the oil. Bacon has a lot of additives that come off in the oil when frying. You can filter it, but really, cooking oil is pretty cheap. You can see by the picture the bacon is evenly done. The only problem is that you don’t get those nice long straight pieces. It tends to curl. But wow, it is easy. 8 slices per batch, a few minutes per batch, and fixing 4 packs is not so bad. It freezes well and reheats in the microwave or toaster oven. It takes about an hour to do four packs, but then you are done for a long time. One suggestion, do not get thick sliced bacon. It can be really tough. Stick with thin or medium sliced.

7 Likes

Made some ribs today
Slow cooked for about 8 hours, then finished on the cast iron grill top with BBQ sauce

10 Likes

Leftovers here tonight, though for a veg side I made some glazed carrots & onions

• 1lb carrots, sliced in half/quarters depending on size
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp white miso paste
  • 2 tbsp whole-grain mustard
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp sriracha (optional)
  1. Oven to 375ºF
  2. Mix glaze ingredients in a bowl, adding a tiny bit of water to help thin the miso out into a stirrable consistency
  3. Pour over carrots and onions
  4. Bake for 30 minutes (or a bit less for crunchier carrots), tossing half-way through.
6 Likes

Woah, everything looks good. I love burgers and fries though. Pm me if u ever need to find a solid burger and fries joint.

1 Like

Planned on fried rice but went a bit ham on the mix-ins and ended up having less leftover rice than I thought so it was more a stir-fry with rice in it but anyways lol

Chicken, sweet potato and rice stir-fry

• three leftover chicken thighs “marinated” (not really since it was already cooked, but used 1 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tsp Huy Fung Chili Garlic Sauce)
  • 2 cups leftover rice
  • a small yellow onion diced
  • a sweet potato, diced
  • two stalks celery, sliced on a bias
  • two bunches green onion (we needed to use them), chopped, greens/whites separated
  • two eggs, scrambled in pan
  • 1 tbsp each fresh garlic and ginger, minced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • stir fry sauce (30g peanut butter, 10g maple syrup, 30g soy sauce, 20g lime juice, 10g chili garlic sauce, 10g toasted sesame oil)
  • about 3.5tbsp vegetable oil
  1. Sautéed onions in 1tbsp oil, added chicken + marinade towards end of onion cooking, then removed from pan
  2. Fried the rice 1 cup at a time in 0.5tbsp oil, then removed to a bowl
  3. Sautéed sweet potatoes, celery, green onion whites in 1tbsp oil, then towards end of cooking time added garlic and ginger and cooked until fragrant.
  4. Added chicken/remaining sauce back to pan, mixed, then moved everything to the side, added 0.5tbsp oil and scrambled eggs, when started to set mixed into everything else.
  5. Added rice back to pan, mixed to combine. Added stir fry sauce, mixed to combine, added frozen peas, mixed to combine and ensured heated through, then finally added green tops of green onions, gave it a final mix, then served.

Could have done fine with just two chicken thighs and maybe half a sweet potato, but it was tasty either way.

5 Likes

I have a cheesecake baking tonight. Just got a new springform pan after my last one broke so though I had to have a cheesecake :joy:

6 Likes

I may have mentioned it before, but seeing your grilled tomatoes reminded me.

Try slicing a tomatillio and frying them like a fried green tomato for topping chili. Flour and cornmeal with some chili powder/salt/pepper. The tart goes so well with a smoked meat or grilled meat chili bowl!

6 Likes

That’sa great idea, I’m going to do that! Thanks!

2 Likes

Made BLTs tonite. Sadly feel somewhat had on the bacon purchase. Noticed the normal 1 lb. package has been reduced to 12 oz. (same price). Normally have 16-18 pieces. This pack had only 12. Wifey failed to notice when shopping. Gonna have to be more observant when shopping. I can live with a price hike. Just don’t try to trick me selling a smaller quantity for the same price. :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

It’s just like the large indents in the bottom of jars and bottles showing up everywhere. And when did half gallons of ice cream go down to three pints?

5 Likes

I’ve been buying 24 oz packs of higher end bacon. With bacon, my store always has one good product on sale. That is the one I grab. If it is one that I really like, I grab 4 or 5 packs and have a big fry to load up the freezer.

4 Likes

We were lucky on bacon at times. A new local butcher shop/fresh market had in house smoked thick cut bacon, about 10mm. You could ask for any thickness though. I don’t like buying ‘thick’ cut and it ends up being extra ‘wide’. I didn’t want wide, thin slices!

If you ever want to try a highly touted and really smokey & salt cured bacon, try Benton’s.

Did some stuffed mushrooms the other day. These are fun to make too.
Imgur

5 Likes

Chipotle-style burrito bowl plate. Everything but the chicken is a copycat recipe of what Chipotle serves.

7 Likes

I saw on the news to always get the bowl at Chipotle, it has more ingredients than the burritos according to staff!

Some hot dill pickle chips sammich for lunch…
Imgur

6 Likes

I believe it! I was on a big Chipotle fix for a while and ate there several times a week (convenience and one of the healtheir options around me) and frequently depending on the time and day I’d get some pretty heavy scoops of stuff, not to mention you can get the tortilla free (or at least, you used to) on the side if you want one!

Looks great!

2 Likes

Same here. Had one next to work and really enjoyed the bowls and ability to mix it up daily.

Used to eat sandwich’s like that as a kid. So a bit of nostalgia. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My partner is an unbelievable cook, and I specialize in desserts. I made her favorite, Grand Marnier Souffle with Creme Anglaise sauce, a couple days ago.

12 Likes

Those look better than the ones I can buy close to my home… :drooling_face:

2 Likes