Adventures in Cooking

Be careful!

Melted plastic causes a seriously crappy rash/burn combo.

2 Likes

8 Likes

We did 130 covers tonight.

9 Likes

Lighter thanksgiving for us, due to having a little too much junk in our trunks. Spatchcocked corny hens, sauteed GBs (with onions and mushrooms and nutmeg, to simulate casserole), and chunky chive mash’d taters.

8 Likes

Some whack leftovers pizza. Started here, great dish if you like such. Cilantro Lime Chicken

Dough. Peanut coconut sauce, same as for dipping chicken satay. Kaffir lime leaves chiffonade and lightly thrown on as they’re packed with flavor. Thai basil, as much or little as you like. Put these under the cheese or they’ll burn on my pizza. Mozz. Cut and torn chicken from above recipe. About 3 thighs were left over, no skin or bones… herp a derp. Match stick cut up 1/2 can of water chestnuts tossed with 1tsp thai green curry paste and tbs of butter. 1/2 a white onion and green bell. Bake according to crust. Top with green onions. If you like Thai curry, this was a rocking pizza. Thai curry is comfort food for me as good as chicken noodle or beef stew, so I tried to mimic it somewhat. If you are the same, might be worth a try?

Edit: Duchess Potatoes. Make mashed potatoes in little puffs. The crunchy bits are great. Instead of nutmeg we added a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder mix.

7 Likes

Been experimenting a lot with Thai curries recently because they’re so straightforward but so good. We had a second turkey in the freezer from last year that we cooked last week so I riff’d and came up with this…

Thanksgiving Massaman Curry

• cooked turkey
  • sweet potatoes
  • carrots
  • green beans
  • onion
  • pecans
  • fish sauce
  • coconut milk
  • maple sugar (we were out of palm)
  • tamarind concentrate
  • massaman curry paste

It was surprisingly good! The massaman spices are really reminiscent of thanksgiving spices so everything pairs well. If I were to make it again I would sub some white potatoes for the carrots and cut down on the green beans by half; basically reduce the amount of mix-ins completely so the curry itself stood out more.

6 Likes

Gnarly y’all.

2 Likes

First go at trying to recreate some Mojo shrimp I had at an amazing mom and pop Cuban restaurant in the outer Miami area. On the right track and improved on the color from the olive drab look of the original.

7 Likes

Y’all have no business making me this hungry at work​:rofl::rofl::sob:

3 Likes

Some blue Stilton from across the pond.

5 Likes

That looks so smooth!

Have you tried some Rogue River blue from Oregon?

Stilton can be a bit much for my personal taste, but Rouge won the worlds last year with their signature blue. The Syrah leaf wrap and pear maceration of the their flagship blue is what won the world title. Those who have eaten it for years were waiting for that day, until the stock disappeared and price went up even more lol.

Caveman is closer to a Stilton imho and delicious. I can make a mean apple slice & blue cheese pizza with a light garlic cream sauce.

With age I’ve become more lactose intolerant. Cheese is still an easy downfall. And biscuits and gravy.

I would make a who cut the cheese joke, but cheese this nice looking is not a joke. It is art. It is love.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried that yet however I will Sir!

1 Like

Uploading: 22C68DBF-E1AE-4F8A-BA16-5C0C9498B819.jpeg…
Uploading: 696C4CBD-DAE5-437B-89B4-DC062290AEC3.jpeg…
Processing: 730A61F7-FFF1-4E49-A23E-6AB34B4E58B9.jpeg…
It’s just not working for me tonight.

4 Likes

5 Likes

1st American cheese to ever win worlds.

But an episode or more of Bourdain’s shows in Europe watching a centuries old practice of cheese being made was great tv. The shine in their eyes as they make and then present some. The :poop: eating grin on their face. Amazing. Even more so when it’s impractical. To much time, to much effort, not enough profit margin, etc. When ask then ‘why do you do it’? They easily answer, ‘I don’t want to live in a world without it’.
"A good, stinky French cheese or a good Stilton. These are things I really, really, love’. - Anthony Bordain

What would that be in the bags? Beef ready for sous viou? Mushrooms look amazing. I love making/eating mushroom risotto! Fine food as per usual.

Edit: How creative!

3 Likes

Some dry aged roast still aging for a 1st attempt and adventure into Prime Rib soon! Love the stuff but never done it at home. Horseradish sauce on the ready and will mix up an Au Jus after roasting.

Gonna use Food Lab’s method.

This is it today, even more funk with age. Going in the oven later. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Came out great! After the 1st slice. A touch more grey around the edge than pictures in Food Lab but I didn’t have a roasting rack either so maybe that’s why?

Bones have been removed and cut apart and seared/rendered and are cooking down in water/seasoning to make a beef broth for risotto later.

8 Likes

Did a lot of cooking this week but on Christmas day I limited myself to baking a loaf of bread and sausage balls. Best thing I made this week was chicken and dumplings.

3 Likes