Adjustable yoyos questions

I’ve been using a YYF Velocity for a few weeks now for my first real yoyo and had a few questions.

First is lube, I had some longboard lube for my old longboard and decided to add some of it to the bearing. It’s somewhat of a mix between thick and thin lube from what I can tell with it. It slowed down the bearing but it made it spin a lot smoother. Was this a bad choice for string tricks?

The other point is with the adjustable feature on the Velocity it moves the friction pads closer together to make it more responsive but at the same time it’s only thick enough to fit about 1 string at a time in the small gap while most string tricks seem to have 2-4 strings on the bearing at a time. Simply doing a brain twister mount has it slamming on the breaks cutting it’s spin time in half or worse.

Is there a trick for adjustable yoyos as far as adjustments and lube goes? If I add thick lube I can open the friction pads more but the yoyo spins slower. If I add thin lube I have to almost completely clamp down the pads making string tricks a no go. Am I missing something about this yoyo?

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you, but I am also interested in a response to this question. I just ordered a velocity so any info I can get before I get it is great! I also ordered a legacy so that if/when I out grow the velocity that I don’t have to wait to get another yoyo. Kinda like i’m doing right now…

honestly your K-Pads need to be broken in more I think. Mine is kinda like that, that is why I prefered my Counter Attack over it due to the wider gap. However the counter attack has those (IMO) crappy CBC pads. Anyhow, when you first get your Velocity it will be pretty good, nice tight binds, adusted all the way out and able to take a wrap or two, but then as it wears in they get really grippy, but then again they seem to smooth out allowing a much smoother play. At least these has been my experiences with my Velocity but as always ymmv. Hope I helped a bit :smiley: