Acid Wash Effects for Dying a Polycarb. Yoyo?

Hey guys, I’ve dyed a couple yoyos in my days which have turned out to be decent jobs. Both times, I used household glue as a mask for a splash-like effect. As of the present day, it is the only method of masking a yoyo that I know of. I’ve seen a couple cool acid wash esque dye jobs in the past and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good masking substance to achieve this look. On a side note, I’m possibly purchasing a few PSGs that I might dye. Any info on dying these yoyos and cap removal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Use peanut butter, seriously.

For the masking part, right?

I don’t think it would be wise to let the dog lick it off afterwards though.

First off, studio, that remark about the dog was just wrong :-[ but as far as a masking medium for creating an acid wash effect, how about cooking spray (i.e. Pam)? I have not tried this yet, but I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Theoretically it makes sense. Oil and water do not mix; now I know the acetone/H2O solution might break down the oil eventually, but the tiny beads of oil should provide enough short term resistance. In my mind, I imagine a short spray of oil on a poly yoyo would create an even dispursement of speckles, and then once gently submerged in the dye solution, some of the specks of oil would stay put and some would sporatically run together creating a random pattern of areas that absorb the dye and areas that do not :wink:
I currently have no polycarbonate yoyos to experiment this theory on, but in the name of yoyo science, somemone try this and let me know if it works, or, send me a light colored Fhz and I’ll try it for free and send it back to you.

This is what I’ve done. Dye as normal and spray the yoyo with loctite spray. It comes in a little spray thing and it takes off the dye in a acid wash effect. I’ll have to post a picture to show you what I mean

I’ve actually heard of using peanut butter before, just haven’t seen any pictures of the results. I like the idea of the Pam spray, sounds really cool! And the Loctite, are there any risks of cracked plastic due to the spray? If not, I might try it.

Just because oil and water don’t mix doesn’t mean that the oil will stay where you put it. In fact, since oil is less dense than water, most of it is just going to float to the top of your solution.

Hence the need for experimentation :wink: