Liquid Dying a Celcon?

I know that to liquid dye normally, you put in some soap with the yoyo, and then dye it… but… would it work with a celcon? Something tells me the soap won’t really work in hot water, and that’s how I’m dying my Celcon. (Black RIT Dye+Hot Water+Light Blue Speedmaker) So I kinda want to make a softer pattern, like a… sponge dye? I dunno what it’s called, I have it on my bassalope, see my signature down underneath for a picture. It’s like there’s puffs of color like there’s clouds in the yoyo. That’s what I’m after.

Another question: Your favorite dying pattern? I need brainstorms here! Note: I ruled out splashes, drizzles, and dots. I think there’s been a little too much of that…

Also, how would one attempt a swirl? Like one where it looks like the yoyos been hooked onto a drill, and a paintbrush touches it…

Do you mean to use it as a mask? Yes in that case it may not work out, but not sure. Maybe something with a more oily base would work, like Vaseline??

Yes, but then the same worries apply there. I’m afraid of the hot water melting down the mask, and the mask being all smeary and runny… and kinda ruining the dye…

That may be, but it will probably hold up better than soap. The other option is hot glue but that’s a total mask. You might just try experimenting with any old plastic and different mask types to see what might work out.

Peanut butter has been used and is known to work nicely.

Well I’ve been reading up on how to dye a delrin plastic, and I wanted to ask how long would I have to keep the yoyo in the water? I was reading 10-15 minutes and I wanted to be reasurred with that.

I will be dying my cucial cream with hot glue as the mask and the color could either be red, black, or blue with swirls so it could either be a strawberries and cream, blueberries and cream, or do black and .white for a crucial cow.

Oh and to answer on how to do the swirls would be with hot glue or elmers glue as I’ve been reading. I could be wrong, but this is all reserch that I’ve done since last night.

Okay… did some research… http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,7610.0.html This guy did a huge project where he took discs of delrin, and subjected them to dying. Apparently, vaseline does not work at all, leaving me with little faith for peanut butter. (Yummy as it is) However, I wanted to do a liquid dye… so I’m guessing… it won’t really work?

Edit: I just read about “flash dying” http://forums.insidelacrosse.com/showthread.php?t=181325&highlight=flash  This guy does it to a lacrosse head, and apparently, someone said it’d work well on yoyos. This method involves dunking the yoyo in hot water, then instantly in ice water… then back again and again,which is supposed to work real well. However… call me paranoid, but I’m a little suspicious of this… wouldn’t the yoyo crack?

@ Batryn: I’ll see your link and raise you this one. As far as I can reason, the ‘flash dyeing’ technique won’t help the plastic take the color; it will only help close the pores afterwards.

However long it take to get the darkness you desire. If you only want a very light color you won’t want to leave it in there very long. If you want a darker color leave it in longer. I would suggest checking on the color fairly often.

1 Like

Yes, but the dye process probably did not include hot water, and instead, used acetone… atmosphere isn’t celcon… is it?

Yes it is.

Probably gonna try it. How do you apply the peanut butter though? In a thick chunk? Or a thin spread?

BTW, I need yoyoing inspirational words, because I want to cut them out of duct tape, and have 4 words on the side, 2 on each outer cup. I’m thinking of putting throw and spin on them… but am kinda stuck on the rest. Maybe yoyo… and life? What else would you think of?

Keep in mind that wherever there is peanut butter the yo-yo won’t be dyed. Splotch it, spread it, smear it however you like.

hmmm… it will kk. It will last in hot water right??

Thinking of spider web on inside, marbled on outside with yoyo words… that I still need… Throw/Spin… Yoyo/Life… others?