A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

Thanks. I’m really loving it! Knowing it was being delivered this morning I was dreaming up other yoyo’s I could make with the remaining wood that I have. And then in a note Colin sent me he said he finally found a wood that he is allergic to! So, don’t want to put him in a bad way, so need to find something else to make with the Koa I have :slight_smile:

What’s happening with it? Comes back to easily on a tug, or not easy enough? I know some of my Butterfly’s I’ve actually taken apart and removed one side’s starburst response. Just to make it not come back as easy.

DITTO!

Make a KOA guitar… haha. they look so great always.

Yeah just make sure you hands are apart from each other enough so that each time you pop it there’s no slack.

I believe that most ukuleles are made of koa wood.

I own a Koa uke, out of all the guitars I’ve owned I’ve never owned a Koa guitar. Would love one of Pepe Romero’s Koa/cedar classical guitars or a James Goodall Koa guitar. James is the king of Koa guitars, IMO.

Which John higby Duncan profly edition do you have?

He posts new ones almost weekly, sometimes more often. Besides the Cup Of Joe, he doesn’t really duplicate yoyos that I know of. I’ve see. Everything from a Soda Jerk to Rocky and Bullwinkle to the Tour De Fat (which if I understand correctly is some sort of bicycle race kind of thing).

I just ordered a John Higby “Cup O Joe”.

1 Like

I love my cup of joe, mine has a lot of white in the catch zone paint job so it spins as light red/pinkish. Though the awesome thing is, not a single one is exactly the same. And at that price…oh yeah.

TdF is a festival put on by New Belgium Brewing (they make Fat Tire, among other brews). John has been part of it for about 4(?) years now.

Besides a casual bike ride (more of a parade than a race) where people dress up and decorate bikes in the craziest ways imaginable, there are all kinds of great performance art pieces and shows. I’ve been able to perform at TdF with John twice (lhe’s had lots of other yo-yoers on with him, too), and it’s the funnest thing ever. Amazing stage, super chill vibe, fun for all ages. If it comes anywhere near you, you should totally catch it.

http://www.newbelgium.com/events/tour-de-fat.aspx

Thank you for the clarification Ed! I knew someone had to know more about it than my obviously lacking understanding. I remember he posted the Tour De Fat throw and when I did a quick google search there was a lot of bikes and interesting art. I’ll have to check that of if it ever makes it’s way to my area.

Checked the website and found pretty cool ones tin tin and cup of Joe and even the custom name one.

John does great work.  I’ve got a number of his Pro Fly’s, including a few Custom’s that he has done for me.

This is my favorite that John made for me:
https://igcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10956856_777418189000034_1005183923_n.jpg
http://instagram.com/aaronwyoyo

1 Like

^^^^^^^ This is so coooooooooooooooool. And you email Higby about the yoyo colour and design on it and higby makes it and does he charges extra for these design if its other then your name?

Just email John and he’ll get back to you with a quote.

I picked up one of these a while back as well; love it! I believe he mixed actual coffee in with the paint.
I wonder if this had any influence on Once Upon a Tree’s caffeinated Pocket Loves ::slight_smile:

Decided to delete this post. Will share again when they’re done
:slight_smile:

If you don’t have a ProFly from John, you need to get one. Specially us Fixed Axle Misfits…

I love my 2 and I have my eye on some others.

Also, pick up some of his art. I have one of this paintings in my basement family room and get compliments all of the time.

thanks for sharing Ed, didn’t know about TdF… but I do partake in the intake of Fat Tire, never a mistake… had to rhyme… I had coffee this AM… coffee… I like coffee.

“I had coffee this AM” THAT is exactly why I chose “Cup O Joe” for my first JH.
FAM